Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of replacing Brake Pad Sensor Wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Default Cost of replacing Brake Pad Sensor Wires

My wife recently got her 2000 Jetta serviced and asked them to check her brakes. Brakes were reported as fine, but a day or two after service, her brake pad indicator light on her dashboard started coming on.

She took it back to have them check on it and here's the gist of what she was told:

The brakes are fine and the fluid level is fine. The problem is that the sensor wire is worn through - more severe on the left but also worn on the right - so it stops making contact causing the light to come on. Choices are to disregard the light or replace both wires. Cost to fix would be $705. The wires are $102 a piece - the labor is expensive because of way have to run the wires to replace them. If I even choose to fix it then they would have to order the parts so it couldn't even be replaced today.

For starters, that seems awfully expensive to me forwire replacementand labor. Are they trying to rip her off, or is that about what those things cost?

Secondly, since the problem didn't exist before she got her car serviced, I think it's resonable to assume they did something (expose the sensor wires, perhaps?) to cause the problem and should be responsible for correcting it - at the very least not charging her for labor.

Any experts out there who can give us some info on this? Thanks in advance.

They are saying each wire cost apx. $100 (not counting labor, which they're going to tack on another $500). Can anyone quote me on the real cost...perhaps even provide a link that I could take to the service manager?

Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Default RE: Cost of replacing Brake Pad Sensor Wires

I just replaced the brakes on a BMW 323iS. It has essentially the same system. As part of the brake job, I replaced the sensors. I don't have my receipt handy, but I think they cost about $25 per pair. There is one sensor on the left front, and one on the right rear.

The installation is quite simple. They clip into a slot in the pads. You pull the old one out and push the new one in. It's best to put the car up on jack stands to do this. Then, you route the wire the same way as the one that comes off. It plugs into a plug up under the car a short distance away from the wheel. The plug is kind of barrel shaped. I did crack mine while unplugging it, but just taped it up and it was fine.

The one on the front left is right in front of you. The wire runs up into a small cover that clips closed. You just pull out the plug and plug in the new sensor wire.

I would like to get into a racket that is ok with charging someone $700 for about a $100 job including labor. But, if you are mechanical at all and have a little time, it is really easy to do. You don't even need any tools except your brain and your hands.

Good luck,

Dale

Oh, I purchased my sensors from a parts store, and not the dealer. They weren't genuine BMW parts, but they are a quality part and made in Germany. Probably the same vendor as OEM.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Default RE: Cost of replacing Brake Pad Sensor Wires

I’m no expert but here’s what I know
There is a sensor in the pad itself. When the pad is worn the sensor picks up and turns the light on. I think it’s on the driver side pad on the inside of the caliper (it’s the one with the wire coming from it). Look at the mating surface, it should be smooth. The sensor is just 2 wires that run through the pad. When it wears out the wire shows through and makes contact with the rotor completing the circuit triggering the light. If you can see the wire that’s your problem. Replace them and get a new mechanic.
If that isn’t it then get a new mechanic anyway because $705 for 2 wires is how we say bull s**t, at least on my end. I mean the sensors are supposed to get worn though, that’s how they work. I mean I think I paid $30ish for mine, granted I put them on myself but seriously.
Do you self a favor and get a second opinion. It might cost another couple of bucks but it won’t be $700[/b]