Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first DIY brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Default My first DIY brake pad replacement

2000 Jetta, just got the dash board indicator for brake pads...and thinking of trying this on my own.

1) Is I'm being too ambitious, or are pads easy on these Jettas?

2) Assuming it's doable, can anyone offer any advice or instruction? Or is it pretty basic?

Any tips appreciated...

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Default RE: My first DIY brake pad replacement

i have not replaced pads on a volkswagen but i have replaced alot of pads. place a screwdriver between therotor and the brake pad that is on the piston side of the brake. gently tap on it with a hammer until the screwdriver is in there a little bit, then pry the screwdriver to one side or the other. what you are trying to accomplish is pushing the brake caliper piston back completely. once this is done you can take out the bolts holding the caliper on and replace the pads with the new ones and bolt the caliper back on and then pump the brakes a few times to pump them up. always check your brake fluid afterwards, by doing it this way there is never no need for bleeding the brakes because there has been no air able to get into the lines... this is how i have always do it and it works fine everytime... should take no more than 20-30 minutes tops... it will take longer to get the wheels off and back on that it does to change pads.... hope this helps...