New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cost of transmisssion

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Default cost of transmisssion

Hello, I purchased my new beetle from Autobarn and the dealer told me the transmission in a beetle is good for the life of the car it will never have to be replaced. This cant be true right? Also, is it true a vw transmission would be 8,000 to replace? I read that online, is that alot more than a transmission in any other type of car would cost?

Old 03-05-2010, 05:23 PM

I would say not true. There are several threads on here about people needing to rebuild or having problems with the transmission. Just like anything else mechanical, it can go bad. There is no way to guarantee that a transmission in any given car is going to last forever, unless forever is only about 10,000 miles.

I'm guessing that you are buying a new car. If so, just keep with the maintenance schedule (ie. service schedule with oil changes). That will up your chances about your car having a long life. But then you never know. There's always that one in whatever that rolls off the assembly line already a lemon.

What the dealer should've clarified is that VW claims that the transmission is good for "forever" which is why it's all sealed up the way it is, unlike most other car manufacturers. However, the only thing that can be guaranteed with that statement is that there are thousands of VW customers who would beg to differe with that claim.

Last edited by Sassylassy; 03-05-2010 at 05:26 PM.