2001 V6 Passat - Popping noise and then barely idles and wont run plus smoking

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:09 AM
Default 2001 V6 Passat - Popping noise and then barely idles and wont run plus smoking

Howdy!

Im still scratching my head about this, so I found this forum and thought I'd ask for help on this one.

2001 Passat V6 automatic 76,000 k

THis car has been really well maintained, inside and out, and displayed none of these symptoms four days ago...

Symptoms on start up - barely idles, revs when using accelerator but only reaches 2000 or so rpm and then flutters and dies, white grey smoke pouring out the back...before this happened a distinctive "one time" popping noise (three seperate times) from the right side of engine heard (POP!)

No indicator lights on inside the dash. Oil, water are good. No oil in the water.

Heres the situation...

3 days ago - battery light indicator came on in the dash, while idling. It went out when I left the parking lot (new battery)

2 days ago - I started the car and while the motor was turning over to start, there was a loud popping (just one POP) that came from what seemed like the front left side of the engine bay..not inside the motor. I started the car, reved through the pop and drove home...noticed nothing car running great.

2 days ago - Left for the store. Drove 2 km and returned. When I hit the drive way (long incline) i was cruising at 10 km hour and the car mad the "POP!) noise. I parked the car and pulled in.

1 day ago - Im leaving for work, I hit the ignition...the car barley starts, it is missing badly, wont support its idle speed and dies. I notice smokey- steam smell.

No warning lights or indicators lights active, oil and water are good. No check engine light.

Continued...I restart the car, its missing and spitting and will barley idle, if I rev through its really rough, when the motor reaches 2-2500 it sputters and dies....all the while white steamy smoke out the back.

I cant move the car, it dies under any real acceleration.

So theres the story....

For me, the popping noise is telling, I just dont know what it means. The white smoke seems like a head gasket...but there has been no loss of water in the over flow and no water in the oil. No indicater lights at startup, no check engine lights and the car was never beyond medium temperature, as im the only driver.

Please help! Send me any thoughts suggestions or advice...all greatly appreciated.

Best,

Noland

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP OR INSIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!