Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.0 dies, then runs fine, then dies

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Default 2.0 dies, then runs fine, then dies

2000 Jetta. I got on the TDI forum without realizing it only talked about diesel. You guys do know about gas engines, right? On TDI, I was convinced that relay 109 had gone bad, but I looked for it for days before I realized the car may not even have a relay that could heat up and cut off the computer.

The engine starts right up, twenty minutes later or so it dies even at 60 mph. It cranks but won't start for about 15 minutes, like something (fuel pump, relay????) cools down, and then it runs fine again until it quits again. When it runs, it sounds good, feels good, etc.

Please help as I don't make very much money (I work with abused kids) and would hate to take it in to the dealer rip off.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions or recommendations at robert_t@suddenlink.net. I'll check back here too, but I had a hard time getting on and had to use my Facebook log in then change passwords etc. I don't want to miss out on a possibility if I'm stopped from revisiting.

Thanks everybody. Bob

Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Bob. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 2603
Size:  951 Bytes

The 109 relays do go faulty so it worth carrying a spare in the car just in case. The normal symtom is the engine will crank all day but it won't start the 109 relay is the main power feed to the ecu.

Ideally you could do with finding someone with VAG-COM\VCDS to do a scan for any error codes logged in the ecu.

There is a very good TDI forum I can recommend. VW TDI forum and Audi TDI forum - myturbodiesel.com

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Default Thanks for the reply about my 2.0

Thanks. I have a gas engine. I thought TDI was for diesel. I used to overhaul 36 and 40 hp engines, so that shows how old I am and how much I don't know about modern cars. Do gas powered 2000 Jettas have relay 109? I've looked under the dash (plastic still off) for a couple of hours and couldn't find it. I took out relay 377 to look above it and found a blank hole. I also found relays 100, 409, two 53s, and 173, but that's it in the relay panel.

I can have a diagnostic done for about $60 but I'm afraid that it won't come up with anything since the engine runs good when it runs. When it doesn't run, would a diagnostic work?

I'll try to profile and maybe that's where the sig is. I'm, as you can see, not great at computer stuff. Thanks again.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Robert Eggleton
I got on the TDI forum without realizing it only talked about diesel. You guys do know about gas engines, right? On TDI, I was convinced that relay 109 had gone bad,
Sorry Bob I was a bit confused with you talking about TDI. If you do have a 109 keep one as a spare.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 PM

Sorry about the confusion. I don't know if I have a relay 109 or not. I could not find one in the relay panel. Do gas 2.0s have relay 109? If so, where should I look? If not, what do you think would cause the symptoms I described above? Thanks, Bob

Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Well I normally ask new users. https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

I don't know how I missed you? If we know your car details I can probably check the wiring diagram and fuse/relay boxes if yours should have the 109 relay.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM

I don't know how to add anything to my sig. But, the car is a 2000 gas powered 2.0 Jetta, VIN 3VWSC29M9YM032968. I have a Haynes and couldn't find jack when I looked for relays, not even a listing in the index.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't know how to add info to your signature then it appears you haven't read the link I gave you https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/ at the bottom it says:

Signature update:

To edit your signature click on User CP (Control Panel) on the left of the bar up above. On the left it says Edit Your Details click on it and type in the Location: Where you live then click Save Changes at the bottom.

The on the left you will see Edit Signature just click on it and type in your vehicle details. You can click Preview Signature just to see what it looks like then click Save Signature, job done.

We don't know where you live but I find Haynes manuals ok.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:19 PM

It's supposed to be 10 degrees tomorrow -- no time to be broken down. I guess that I'll take it to a shop for a diagnostic to see if anything turns up, but after it is warmer. I loaned my car, such as it is (95 Explorer with at least one bad hydralic lifter and bad tranny seals), to my son so the doesn't get fired from his job for driving the work care home so much.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 PM

I put in a downside ox sensor. The wires were broken, must have run over something high. Didn't make a difference. After I got gas, I had to wait for 15 min. for it to start, and then it ran fine. Anybody got any ideas?

Quick Reply: 2.0 dies, then runs fine, then dies