No Heat.. plus plus plus

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:05 PM
Default No Heat.. plus plus plus

Hello all, first time poster here and a first time VW owner. I bought a 96 VW Cabrio Wolfsburg Edition simply because the deal was too good to be true. Now I want to restore but I have to do it slowly, mostly due to time but money has a lot to do with it too. Anyway I digress

With winter coming I am trying to get this heater working. The heater and AC both blow but neither are warm or cold. I am not leaking or losing coolant so I assume the heater core is okay.

The thermostat seems to need replacing. The car does not always reach normal operating temperature, especially on a cold morning, but when it does reach it still doesn't blow cold. I think it needs a thermostat but I don't think that's keeping the heater from working.

Also speaking of cold mornings when the car is cold it seems like it takes a minute for the power steering pump to work. At first I have no power steering and the car makes an awful squeal. Once it seemingly gets fluid it works great. Doesn't do anything during idle so it's hard to diagnose myself.

I appreciate any idea, feedback, etc. in advance. Thank you.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 PM

I would bet that you have a problem with the connection between your temperature selector and the heater core flap. Something is stuck or broken. I don't remember, if your system is completely manual or computer controlled with vacuum lines and the like. That could complicate things.

Your power steering issue might be some leaky seals on your steering rack. As soon as the car warms up, it's fine, but until then, the steering is hard. Are you sure that it's the power steering causing the squeal and no the alternator? Does the squeal happen only when you turn the steering wheel?

Old 10-22-2014, 05:17 PM

The squeal happens when the engine is cold and I am trying to turn, specifically backing out of a parking spot. I know it's the power steering because I have to eat my Popeye spinach to turn the car for the first 30 seconds or so (usually less).

Do you think the heat could have ANYTHING to do with the thermostat? I'm not that familiar with these cars, general HVAC, and especially the flap. I would assume it is manual though, most everything on this car is.