Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPC light help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 07:22 PM
Default EPC light help

Hello everyone. My 2001 Jetta has an EPC light on. As well as the ASR light. Along with that I have codes 0102, 0343, and 1142. Before I go throwing parts at this thing, could one problem be causing the other? Do I have a computer problem causing the codes, or could the codes be causing the EPC light? I have tried to clean the MAF to no luck. Looks like ill be buying a new one if I have too. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DBirdsong
Hello everyone. My 2001 Jetta has an EPC light on. As well as the ASR light. Along with that I have codes 0102, 0343, and 1142. Before I go throwing parts at this thing, could one problem be causing the other? Do I have a computer problem causing the codes,.
Just posting error codes without a component description isn't good.

What did you use to get those error codes a generic scanner or VAG-COM\VCDS?

Old 08-04-2019, 05:24 PM

While using a generic code scanner the codes P0102 Mass Air Flow sensor and P0343 Cam Position sensor have been replaced. No more CEL lights, which in turn I have no ECP or ASR light either. Now on to why I have no power to the A/C compressor.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

VAG Error Code: 16486/000258
EOBD II Error Code: P0102

Fault Location:
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) - Signal too Low/Lower Limit Exceeded

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Loss or Power.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 010.1.
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) signal < 66 µs.
Check/Replace Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70).

Special Notes:
In MY 1995-2002 (?) in Europe at VW diesel cars Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) had the bad reputation of slowly losing his performance, causing loss of power. It's not a matter of defective or breaking down, but it is filthy/dirty (not easy to clean). You can check functionality by making a log in [01-engine], Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 08, group 003 (3e gear, full throttle, from 1700-4000rpm).

Tech Notes:
Before replacing the mass air flow sensor, try replacing the air filter and cleaning the air flow sensor with low compress air or mass air flow sensor cleaner. Reset code and drive vehicle. If the code comes back, it may be necessary to replaced the mass air flow sensor.

When is the code detected?:
An excessively low voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM).

Description:
The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is placed in the stream of intake air. It measures the intake flow rate by measuring a part of the entire intake flow. It consists of a hot film that is supplied with electric current from the Engine Control Module (ECM).

The temperature of the hot film is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM) a certain amount. The heat generated by the hot film is reduced as the intake air flows around it. The more air, the greater the heat loss. Therefore, the Engine Control Module (ECM) must supply more electric current to maintain the temperature of the hot film as air flow increases. The Engine Control Module (ECM) detects the air flow by means of this current change.

VAG Error Code: 16727/000835
EOBD II Error Code: P0343

Fault Location:
Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40) - Signal too High/Short Circuit to Positive

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40) faulty.
Timing misaligned.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40).
Check Timing.

When is the code detected?:
The camshaft position sensor signal is sent the Engine Control Module (ECM) is too high.

Description:
The Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor is an electronic device used in an engine to record the rate at which the camshaft is spinning. This information is used by the Engine Control Module (ECM) to control ignition and fuel injection. The Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor senses the retraction of camshaft (intake) to identify a particular cylinder. The Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor senses the piston position. The sensor system consists of a rotating part, typically a disc, as well as a static part, the actual sensor.

When the engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change. The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change. The change in the magnetic field cause the voltage from the sensor to change.

When the Crankshaft Position Sensor system becomes inoperative, the Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor provides various controls of engine parts instead, utilizing timing of cylinder identification signals.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software