Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 jetta 2.0 GLS, idle issue HALP. pls :(

Old 05-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Default 00 jetta 2.0 GLS, idle issue HALP. pls :(

2) Car kept stalling once it reached optimum temp, rpms would flutter quickly between 200 & 2000. eventually it got to the point where I couldn't even drive it if the rpms went below 2000 but I had to because I was 30 miles from home. (left foot braking is fun, btw) and that's when it went into limp mode. I took it to my locla vw mechanic & he took it out of limp mode for me & it was throwing these codes. p0725, p1780, p1850, p0322, p0103. none of those codes came back recently except the p0322. I was able to take it hom & we found that it had a vac leak under the manifold and the evap line was broke off on the back of the mani. those are now repaired. & the MAF was replaced as the car was not getting signal from the one the previous owner put in.
3) The most recent. She still stalls out/jerk once she was at optimum temp, I never know when she's going to do it and when she does, the CEL comes on and throws these codes everytime, 16505/P0121 throttle position sensor (G69) implausible signal
16706/P0322 Ignition/distributor engine speed sensor no signal
16824/P0440 evap control system malfuntion. This last happened about 3 1/2 weeks ago and hasn't happened since. But we found out that one of her idle issues was the oil breather hose clamping itself shut somehow when she was warm. So I bought the hose & when we took the old flimsy one off, there was yellow sludge in my breather up to my PCV and in my valve cover (which i was told it was normal by a vw mechanic) and we cleaned my PCV, intake hose, oil cap & the sludge is now gone but there's still a clear/mildy reddish liquid in there. but she still has this idle issue, the one you saw in the video.Previous owners said they had mass problems with the MAF but I found out it's because they bought one from advance auto rather than a VW specified OEM one.
my boyfriend was actually the one that helped me figure out the breather hose was clamping shut. I drove it to the the Family dollar right by my work to buy a phone charger before I went to work & she wouldn't start back up cause she was warm. I went on break & was able to move her after 3 hours of letting her cool down. He came to see me after he got home & he clamped the hose shut for ~30 seconds and let go really quickly & the engine would bog out so much that it would shutter and almost shut off then it would start back up. Replaced that hose & now she starts at any given time even if she's warm.
This video I took states my current issue. I'm told it's a vac leak but I'll be honest, I'm at my whits end with this car.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 58
Size:  951 Bytes

VAG Error Code: 17109
EOBD II Error Code: P0725

Fault Location:
Engine Speed Input Circuit - Circuit Malfunction

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor (G28) harness is open or shorted.
Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor (G28) poor electrical connection.
Communication error between the Engine Control Module (ECM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM).
Check for loose Engine Control Module (ECM) power relay.

When is the code detected?:
The P0725 Codes is triggered when Transmission Control Module (TCM) does not receive the engine speed signal from Engine Control Module (ECM).

Description:
The Engine Control Module (ECM) monitors the engine speed through the Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor with the engine running, and send signal to the Transmission Control Module (TCM).

EOBD II Error Code: P1780

Fault Location:
Engine Control Module (ECM)/Transmission Control Module (TCM) (J217) - Electrical Connection

Possible Cause:
Wiring/Connector(s).
Transmission control module (TCM) (J217) trouble code(s) stored.
Transmission fault.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).

VAG Error Code: 18258
EOBD II Error Code: P1850

Fault Location:
Missing Information Powertrain Data Bus - Missing Message from Engine Control Module (ECM)

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) ON.
Warning light on.

Blown fuse for control module
Wiring Harness issue.
Failed control module.

Possible Solutions:
Inspect Wiring/Connector(s) for CAN BUS between control modules.

Special Notes:
As per TSB 01-07-54, do not replace the Engine Control Module (ECM) for this Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC). Please see TSB for complete details.

VAG Error Code: 16706
EOBD II Error Code: P0322

Fault Location:
Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor (G28)/Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor (G28) - No Signal

Possible Cause:
Engine shuts off.
Engine doesn't start.
Speedometer inoperative.
Glow Plug Indicator Lamp (K29) flashes.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor (G28)/Engine Speed Sensor (G28) loose.
Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor (G28)/Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor (G28) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor (G28)/Engine Speed Sensor (G28).

Special Notes:
The Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor (G28)/Engine Speed Sensor (G28) is also used as a reference sensor for the crankshaft position.

The P0322 code is triggered when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects no signal.

Description:
Ignition failure sensor is used to check whether the spark ignition is occurred correctly or not and also used to tachometer drive. The sensor monitors the voltage difference between a resistance which is on the battery circuit for ignition coil. When the ignition coil works properly, the electric current through the resistance is detected as voltage drop. This is confirmed for every ignition event with the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor. If Engine Control Module (ECM) detects a malfunction, no ignition is possible, so the engine would not start. If there is no ignition signal for a predetermined cycle for one or two ignition coils, an ignition coil circuit failure exists.

VAG Error Code: 16487
EOBD II Error Code: P0103

Fault Location:
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70), Bank 1 - Signal too High/Short Circuit to Positive

Possible Cause:
Engine stall.
Engine running rough.
Excessive fuel consumption.
Excessive smoke.
Loss or Power.

Wiring/Connector(s) short to positive.
Earth wire defective.
Dirty Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70).
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) faulty.
Dirty Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) filter.
Intake leaks.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor signal > 4500 Ás.

Special Notes:
In MY 1995-2002 (?) in Europe at VW-diesel-cars G70 had the bad reputation of slowly losing his performance, causing loss of power. It's not a matter of defective or breaking down, but it is filthy / dirty (not easy to clean). You can check functionality by making a log in [01-engine], [meas.blocks-08], group 003 (3e gear, full throttle, from 1700-4000rpm).

Tech Notes:
Before replacing the mass air flow sensor, try replacing the air filter and cleaning the air flow sensor with low compress air or mass air flow sensor cleaner. Reset code and drive vehicle. If the code comes back, it may be necessary to replaced the mass air flow sensor.

An excessively high voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM)

Description:
The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is placed in the stream of intake air. It measures the intake flow rate by measuring a part of the entire intake flow. It consists of a hot film that is supplied with electric current from the Engine Control Module (ECM).

The temperature of the hot film is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM) a certain amount. The heat generated by the hot film is reduced as the intake air flows around it. The more air, the greater the heat loss. Therefore, the Engine Control Module (ECM) must supply more electric current to maintain the temperature of the hot film as air flow increases. The Engine Control Module (ECM) detects the air flow by means of this current change.

VAG Error Code: 16505
EOBD II Error Code: P0121

Fault Location:
Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) (G127) - Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
Poor engine performance.

Accelerator cable adjustment.
Throttle position sensor (TPS) (G127).
Wiring Harness issue.
Failed Throttle Body.
Failed Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
Test wiring as per Factory Repair Manual

Special Notes:
For some vehicles, there may be a TPI with instructions on replacing the terminals for the throttle body.
Some Engine Control Module (ECM)s may have a firmware update to address this issue during cold weather.

Malfunction is detected when an excessively low or high voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM).

Description:
The throttle position sensor (TPS) responds to the accelerator pedal movement. This sensor is a kind of potentiometer which transforms the throttle position into output voltage, and emits the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). In addition, the sensor detects the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feeds the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM).

Idle position of the throttle valve is determined by the Engine Control Module (ECM) receiving the signal from the throttle position sensor. This sensor controls engine operation such as fuel cut. On the other hand, the Wide open and closed throttle position switch, which is built into the throttle position sensor unit, is not used for engine control.

As taken from my https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ge...oftware-34973/

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/