Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle issue IM BROKE I NEED ADVICE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Default Idle issue IM BROKE I NEED ADVICE!

Ok, so about a year ago I bought 95 volkswagen Jetta GL. It's a 5 speed, 4 cylinder 2.0 liter. When I bought it, it had about 103,000 miles and It was like 1800 dollars so I snagged it because Im a full time college student who commutes and Im broke as a joke. It's not in bad shape and it runs pretty much without fail. However recently it's been having some major idle issues.

For example:

I will be driving along and come to a long red light. While im stopped, in neutral (or in gear with the clutch pushed to the floor) the idle will start fluxuating anywhere from normal 800-900rpms to like 2000 rpms. sometimes it will go days without this problem and other times it will happen 15 times in a single day of driving. Usually it gradually increases to like 1500 rpms and just sticks there for a while and then suddenly drops back to 800-900 rpms.

I've taken it too one mechanic this far and he completely ****ed me over and ripped me off for hundreds of dollars and did absolutely nothing. I'm tapped out for cash right now and Im looking for anyone who might be able to lead me in a promising direction with this problem. I'm no mechanic but if I know the problem, I have friends that can help me replace minor parts such as O2 sensors and so on.

ALSO, my heat shield recently came loose from the chassis and I was wondering if I can just pull it off without risking a fire or damaging the body. theres about 8 inches of snow on the ground right now and it would be easier to pull it off untill it's dry enough out for me to put it back on securely.

Thanks for reading and any advice you have, I sincerely appreciate it.

-Josh

Old 01-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Idle issue IM BROKE I NEED ADVICE!

What did this mechanic do as far as parts replaced? You can rip off your heat shield but it will get hot and louder inside the car.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:37 PM

the mechanic said "he couldn't find anything and that his diagnostic machine wouldn't work with my car or something to that affect. essentially he did nothing. any advice?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:05 AM
Tib

A friend of mine is having a very similar issue, only his is to the point where the car is too hazardous to drive. I'd like to state that I'm no mechanic either, and I'm in college as well, so I guess we're on the same boat.

He drives an 01 Jetta.

The engine will turn over but the idling starts immediately and ranges anywhere from low enough to stop the engine to 2000 rpm

Have you checked all of your vacuum hoses? We checked ours, and come to find out we had a bad hose. We got it replaced, but the idling never stopped. We can still hear a faint whistling somewhere, so there's still a possible leak. Any other suggestions here are welcome.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

There are so many things it could be. Is the check engine light on? The only thing I can suggest now is to change the spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, air filter and listen for vacuum leaks (they just sound like a hissing).

Old 01-29-2009, 02:43 PM

i have heard a way to find out if there is a vacuum leak, get a propane torch turn the gas on but dont light it, oh by the way i have never done it but i have seen it done, but have it so the gas is on a little but no flame, put it towards where you hear the whistling and if the idle goes up a little thats where the leak in the vacuum is

Old 01-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Not a good idea. That could send a fireball through the system.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:09 PM

The mechanic you took it to told you the truth, you have to read between the lines... He's relying solely on his diagnostic tool. The '95 is OBD I, and therefore not too useful as far as "modern" diagnostics are concerned from what I'm told. Unfortunately I have a '95 also.

The vacuum leak trick with the propane torch is for use with carburated engines... Too many sensors inline to damage with fuel injected engines. Just remember to take off the air cleaner! The guys on "Car Talk" advocate it, so it must work (hehe).

Sounds to me like a fuel pressure regulator, or a slowly failing potentiometer (TPS?). Any takers on that? I will look in my Haynes book to see what troubleshooting can be done... Good luck!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 PM

this is kinda what mine does to and they said they would not waste there time or mine becasue they had no idea becasue every time i took it in it would act fine> mine does this when its driving also hmmm mines kinda an idle issue but the mother moves to its very weird and i have no idea how to fix it nor do they lol has anyone had this issue and fixed it mine is a 2000 jetta gls 2.0 and in very good shape with everything else