Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VWs 2.0 engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Default VWs 2.0 engines

I’m sure this has been asked before but what do I need to look out for? This is my first VW in many moons I bought this car mainly to go back and forth to work after my beloved Subaru died on me. This car has 180isk on it. No strange noises has of yet and I want to keep it that way. I have looked up this engine online but would like to hear from some of you all. There is no check engine light on the temperature stays right at 190 and this car is a 5 speed.

Just bought it yesterday I have an owners manual so that helps to some extent.

thanks in advance!

Old 06-02-2019, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Norwood
I’m sure this has been asked before but what do I need to look out for? This is my first VW in many moons I bought this car mainly to go back and forth to work after my beloved Subaru died on me. This car has 180isk on it. No strange noises has of yet and I want to keep it that way. I have looked up this engine online but would like to hear from some of you all. There is no check engine light on the temperature stays right at 190 and this car is a 5 speed.

thanks in advance!
take it from me a guy thats almost 50 years old & been around cars all his Life. the secret to longevity on any veheicle is change all the necessary " Life bloods of the engine & transmission. & everything else to operate reliabley & smoothly " items like:

-Engine Oil & Filter use the proper Viscosity & spec your engine calls for along with the proper Oil Filter.
-Coolant drain & fills do them at least 3X over 2 days apart from each other (giving time for new fluid to circulate mix with new)
-change the brake fluid
-manual trans 1 drain & fill should be enough. if oil is dark coming out do a 2nd drain and fill a day apart driving so that new oil circulates and cleans up inside then drain again.
-change spark plugs if equiped with them. leaving Old Spark Plugs in an engine is hard on ignition Coil Packs (makes them work harder than they should) So just change them.
-Air Filter check and if Dirty replace it.
-and Lastly use a Top Tier Fuel i use Shells V-Power in my area its got 7X times the detergency for cleaning up a Fuel system than any other Fuel in my area if You run this fuel theres No need to use fuel Inlector Cleaner of any sort at all.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Which 2.0?

As I asked in your intro. https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...evening-37902/

Old 06-03-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
Which 2.0?

As I asked in your intro. https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...evening-37902/
Sorry it’s the N/A engine. The 115 horsepower engine.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Which one as there are 384 115PS engine.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
Which one as there are 384 115PS engine.

Sorry I don’t know the specs like other makes it’s a 2002 if that helps any. U.S.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Old 07-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by bragsTD!
take it from me a guy thats almost 50 years old & been around cars all his Life. the secret to longevity on any veheicle is change all the necessary " Life bloods of the engine & transmission. & everything else to operate reliabley & smoothly " items like:

-Engine Oil & Filter use the proper Viscosity & spec your engine calls for along with the proper Oil Filter.
-Coolant drain & fills do them at least 3X over 2 days apart from each filezilla uc browser rufus (giving time for new fluid to circulate mix with new)
-change the brake fluid
-manual trans 1 drain & fill should be enough. if oil is dark coming out do a 2nd drain and fill a day apart driving so that new oil circulates and cleans up inside then drain again.
-change spark plugs if equiped with them. leaving Old Spark Plugs in an engine is hard on ignition Coil Packs (makes them work harder than they should) So just change them.
-Air Filter check and if Dirty replace it.
-and Lastly use a Top Tier Fuel i use Shells V-Power in my area its got 7X times the detergency for cleaning up a Fuel system than any other Fuel in my area if You run this fuel theres No need to use fuel Inlector Cleaner of any sort at all.
This is my first VW in many moons I bought this car mainly to go back and forth to work after my beloved Subaru died on me. This car has 180isk on it. No strange noises has of yet and I want to keep it that way. I have looked up this engine online but would like to hear from some of you all. There is no check engine light on the temperature stays right at 190 and this car is a 5 speed.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:39 PM