Starting after sitting in garage

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Default Starting after sitting in garage

Hey guys, I'm helping out a neighbor with getting their 1967 Beetle running after it's been sitting in their garage for the last 2-3 years and I've got a couple questions.
First off, I'm fairly new to these cars, but have done a good amount of work on other cars.
1) Does this car have some way to drain the old gas from the tank or will I have to get a hand pump to siphon the gas out?
2) As far as I understand, 30w is the oil that should be used? (So Cal fairly warm)
3) Is there a specific spark plug that I should get? (I'm just freshening things up, not upgrading)
4) Specific oil filter? Air Filter? Fuel Filter?
5) Is there anything touchy about this car that I should keep in mind before starting it up? (i.e. There's a screw on the engine block that causes the engine to blow up if it's not torqued just right.)

Thanks guys, I'll probably come back with a few more questions over the next little while here, but that should help me get started.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Default RE: Starting after sitting in garage

Alright, so I found ********.com and realized that I had greatly overlooked that site while researching. I've answered a few of my questions, looks like I have to siphon the gas, 30w is the oil I should use and W8AC are the plugs I should get. Although I would still appreciate any input possible!

Old 09-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Default RE: Starting after sitting in garage

get under the car and pull the fuel line neer the drivers rear axel put a drain pan under it
oil filter is a screen in the bottom of the block just get a change kit it has all the gaskets for changing the oil
30 w oil w8ac bosh plugs
if it still has stock air filter it is a oil bath dump out old oil and fill to the red line
other than that it should fire up
fuel lines like go bad so keep an eye out for leaks or you could burn it up