Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help- 1989 golf dies at idle!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Default help- 1989 golf dies at idle!

Hi- I'm new to the vw project car.. I recently acquired an 89 golf that sat in a field for a few years. It got a minor tune up (changed spark plugs, battery, fuel and oil filters etc) and it ran pretty well. I recently had to change the starter b.c the solenoid housing was cracked and it wasn't starting well.

Lately it has been having trouble starting- esp when cold. The engine cranks when you turn key then then the car idles for a second (normally about 3k rpms) then dies. Feathering the gas used to help a bit, but is doing nothing now. Sometimes I can get it going after 10-20 start attempts, sometimes not. When I do get it to start, it runs great with no probs. It's like it isn't getting any gas! I can hear the undercar fuel pump buzzing when I turn the key right before the engine fires. Seems like it has something to do with the initial warm up period, but I can't sort out what it might be... any thoughts any one? thanks in advance

Old 08-07-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by jules4golf
Hi- I'm new to the vw project car.. I recently acquired an 89 golf that sat in a field for a few years. It got a minor tune up (changed spark plugs, battery, fuel and oil filters etc) and it ran pretty well. I recently had to change the starter b.c the solenoid housing was cracked and it wasn't starting well.

Lately it has been having trouble starting- esp when cold. The engine cranks when you turn key then then the car idles for a second (normally about 3k rpms) then dies. Feathering the gas used to help a bit, but is doing nothing now. Sometimes I can get it going after 10-20 start attempts, sometimes not. When I do get it to start, it runs great with no probs. It's like it isn't getting any gas! I can hear the undercar fuel pump buzzing when I turn the key right before the engine fires. Seems like it has something to do with the initial warm up period, but I can't sort out what it might be... any thoughts any one? thanks in advance
The old nasty gass has gumed up the entire fuel system (smells like turpintine) ..pump might be weak check pressure and change filter..

Last edited by leftlanedave; 08-07-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by leftlanedave
The old nasty gass has gumed up the entire fuel system (smells like turpintine) ..pump might be weak check pressure and change filter..
when you go to change the fuel filter, put some fuel in a glass bottle and see if it is dirty. if it is dirty your fuel lines could be blocked. does it run really rough when you drive it