Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Start - Dead Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Default Won't Start - Dead Battery?

This is my first post so forgive me if this is posted elsewhere - I couldn't find it.

I have a 2003 Jetta which won't start. When I turn the key it halfway rolls over and then stops, which seems to me is dead battery, or perhaps a starter problem, I'm trying to figure it out. The power windows work, the lights come on brightly, all electrical stuff works fine. Does this mean it isn't the battery?

The manual says if the window on the battery is "yellow or has no color" then the battery acid level is low and I should add distilled water. Well, there is no color (black). This is the same battery that came with the car so it is over 5 years old. I'm ready to get a new battery, except the fact that all the other electric stuff functions normally makes me wonder if that is even the problem. Anyone have a similar experience?

Auxiliary question: How do you add distilled water to the battery. I see no caps or obvious way to open it. It's probably a sealed battery right? Then why does the manual advise adding water?

Any comments are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Default RE: Won't Start - Dead Battery?

change the battery
get a good one that you can service inerstate is a great brand dont get a duralast they are crap

Old 09-22-2008, 08:51 AM

Just a follow up: Got a jump and the car started fine, took it to PepBoys to get tested and I did need a new battery. They installed a Bosch battery ($100) and everything seems okay now.

So FYI: EVEN IF YOUR POWER WINDOWS AND HEADLIGHTS WORK PERFECTLY, YOU COULD STILL NEED A NEW BATTERY.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:59 PM

ya the amps your starter pulls are far more than the rest of the car