Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Catastrophic Turbo Seal Failure!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:50 AM
Default HELP! Catastrophic Turbo Seal Failure!

Hello all,

I loved my 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI. Recently, I rounded a turn and, all of a sudden, the engine lost power. Huge plumes of white smoke started billowing out of the tailpipe. I immediately pulled into the nearest parking lot I could find and called my dealership.

Citiwest VW in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada found that the cause of the problem was that my turbo seal had failed. As a result MY CAR NEEDS A NEW ENGINE! On top of that, because I did not bring the car in for it's 32k and 64k regular maintenance, both VW customer care and Citiwest VW ARE VOIDING MY WARRANTY! I only have 71,000 kms on the odometer, and have had the dealer perform all of my oil changes!

My question to this forum is this:

Has anybody heard of a turbo seal causing catastrophic failure before? Are there other owners (ex-owners) who have had this happen to them in the past?

I was waiting for almost 3 weeks to hear anything from my dealership as to the status of my car despite numerous calls to check in. I contacted VW customer care last week and they too, told me that they would get back to me right away however, they did not. I am quite frustrated at this point.

Any comments/suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:08 AM
Default RE: HELP! Catastrophic Turbo Seal Failure!

If you had your dealership do all your oil changes then why didn't they do the service maintance? Did you have any mods done to the turbo shen it blew the seal, that could be a cause as to why they won't validate your warranty. If not that is a legal issue and i would get a lawyer. If the car is suppose to be under a certain warranty and they breach the contract then you can sue.

post more information on the problem and i'll try to help you help

hope to help
[:-]

Old 01-05-2007, 11:05 PM

GET A LAWYER.....AS LONG AS YOU MADE NO MODIFICATIONS .....THAT THE DEALER MIGHT SUGGEST LED TO THE BLOWN ENGINE...THIS WAS DEALER NEGLECT.....TURBOS BLOW ALL THE TIME ON A VARIETY OF CARS AND MOST OF THE TIME ITS JUST A TURBO REPLACEMENT....AND OTHER MINOR REPAIRS BECAUSE HEAT DISPLACEMENT IS A CRITICAL ISSUE WHEN THE INTAKE IS STARVED FOR AIR...DAMAGE RESULTS SOME WHERE.....A BLOWN ENGINE WOULD MEAN SPUN BEARINGS.....CRACKED BLOCK POSSIBLY AND ONLY IF THE CRACKS ARE ON THE WATER PORTS DOES THAT MEAN THE BLOCK AND ENGINE IS TRASH.....LOTS OFIF'S... DEALER ISSUES.....ITS THEIR PROBLEM

Old 01-06-2007, 12:54 PM

I own a 2004 Jetta wagen TDI, my Turbo was acting up and the Engine light came on, not from the Turbo though, Took it in to the Dealer here in Monroe,MI called Thayer. They have a good Mecnahic there and Nice Service Reps, Found really quickly about 2 shorting wires, Mechanic said,which happen on about 85% of the Jettas are going bad, Wire harness is either too short or being pulled from road usage he said. Just replace the 2 wires with a new harness and He made me Believe VW knows about the problem, because he left those 2 wires exposed by the Turbo ( I do my own oil changes Noticed them and asked him about a week later ) he said, VW mechanics recognize the fact those 2 wires are not used going back to the PC in the car or fuse box.They fixed mine for FREE ! Even gave me a loaner to use all weekend! Have them check the wire harness first, they are shorting making the Turbo go off and on at differant times in the excelleration, The computer they put it on only recognizes the Turbo seems to be on or DEAD! Don't fall for their incompetent Bull##$*. If not e-mail me back!