Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front passenger interior dome light stays on & button controls other interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 12:19 AM
Default Front passenger interior dome light stays on & button controls other interior lights

Ok so I just bought a 2010 Jetta 2.5L. Found out the interior lights didn't work - visor lights, front and rear dome lights. Figured out that it was the fuse.

When I put the fuse in - the front right passenger dome light stays on. I checked the open door light switch, and no matter what (of the 3) positions it's in, the front right passenger light stays on. If I hit the button for it, the OTHER interior dome lights (front driver and rear dome lights) turn on. If I hit it again, the other dome lights turn off. Using those other switches independently works their respective lights properly. But nothing I do (other than pulling the fuse) will turn the front right passenger dome light off.

Any ideas? I've thought of just removing the light bulb for the front right passenger dome light - but I'm not sure if it would still continue to draw power from the battery or not. Ideally I'd like it to work properly.

Any suggestions, videos, or help is appreciated.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Default Welcome to Volkswagen Forum - Rules & Recommendations

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

Do you have the correct fuse & relay layout diagram?

Please tell us your car spec in your signature

Old 01-06-2018, 11:14 PM

Finally figured out the issue.

You need to take the dome light fixture off. On the ceiling above the fixture, there was a torque screw that had come loose and was touching the metal backplate of the dome fixture. I tightened up this screw and it all worked as intended.

Found the answer on a VW Golf forum.