Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine stalls at low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Default Engine stalls at low RPM

I have a 97 Jetta GT 2.0 SOHC. For the last few weeks I have noticed a small miss in the engine at lower RPM (such as starting off in first gear). As the RPMs increase, the engine will cease to miss. Well, the last three days the miss has been getting worse. Today, it finally got to the point to where the engine stalled out on me. I was able to get it running for a very short time until it died and did not even want to start. It seems like it will run for awhile when the engine is cold, but not for long.

So, I have replaced the fuel filter because I have not replaced it since owning the car. And also the Distributor cap and rotor because the contacts looked quite corroded. The vehicle has 181,000 miles on it.

PS - There is also a vaccum line that runs to the throttle body that seems to pop off from time to time since all of this has happened. I really don't know what it is for. But, when it is disconnected it will cause the engine to stall when idling. My stalling problem still occurs when this line is connected. Looks like its connected to a sensor and the line runs out through the fender.

Any suggestions would really help. Thanks!!