Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation in low RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:42 PM
Default Hesitation in low RPM's

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I am a first time VW owner. I just picked up a 98 Golf, 2.0 5spd. As my luck would have it, not a couple of days after picking it up I noticed some hesitation when accelerating quickly in lower RPM's. The motor seems to be spuddering quite a bit. Also the first time I noticed that happen the check engine light came on. I tried to turn the car off and restart / reset it but it still stays on and the motor still hesitates. Any ideas on what this may be? Like I said I am new to the VW world so if this is a common question that everyone gets tired of answering I appologize in advance. Thanks all!

-HoBo

Old 06-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hesitation in low RPM's

What RPM's are you at when this happens???

Old 06-15-2006, 04:07 PM

Probably below 2500. I did some reading and searching around at some other posts, what I have heard with some other people is that the coil, plugs, and wires needed to be replaced. They also said it happened when it was raining or wet out. It wasn't raining when it happened to me, also the car had just been started. I dont have it registered yet so I was just taking it around my neighborhood. The one thing that other people had not said is that their CEL didnt come on, mine did.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:46 PM

change oil and plugs cap and rotor you might away without wires check the old plugs oil fouled wrong gap this will help indicate other possible problems.check the air filter and at the same time look into the throttle body might be gummed up.after all that try adjusting the idle with the screw ont the throttle body count the turns so you can put it back if need be.whiththese changes your car will be much happier.

Old 06-18-2006, 09:44 PM

Didn't think of the throttle body, I'll check it out and clean it up if it needs it. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:14 PM

I'm having a similar problem with my Cabrio. The car hesitates until it reaches temperature (195 degrees). Once warm it runs fine. Have you noticed this also. I've replaced my rotor, distributor cap, plugs, water temp. sensor, and MAF. The only thing left is the cables. I'm ready to rip out the little hair I have left. Today I noticed that the car shutters as the tyemp reaches 195. Not sure what that means, but somethign definitely turns on / off, and then the car runs fine.

Alan '02 Cabrio

Old 11-01-2006, 06:18 AM

On these golfs the spark plug leads will play up i suggest you try replacing them. they also get oil fouled plugs but that will cause the engine to run rough most of the time.the tempreature sensors also play up but you will experience the idle raising by itself and high fuel consumption.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:21 AM

Also the air flow meters fail on these golfs and when you put your foot down the vehicle just doesnt want to move and coughs and splutters but most of the time when you light throttle the vehicle seems fine.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:34 PM

It turned out to be the throttle body. Once I cleaned it out with qtips dipped in rubbing alcohol, my hesitation challenge went away.
Alan '02 Cabrio