Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2012 Jetta GLI engine issues already!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Default New 2012 Jetta GLI engine issues already!

Ok, so I just recently got my brand new GLI last Saturday and I have already had to take it to the dealership. I love the car, from the styling, the interior, the Fender system rocks, but the engine is making this horrible rattling sound. It does not happe when idling, and rarely in 1st gear... Mainly from 2nd through 6th gear and through the 2,000-3,500 RPM range. It sounds like something metallic, or something fluttering in the engine. I thought it might be the catalytic converter, with something loose inside, or perhaps the down pipe flex joint, or maybe even the turbo. I took it to Hiley VW in Arlington, TX and they stated, "we don't know, we have to call VW tech support." Odd to me, but that's ok. Anyways, I got the car back and they said it was the heat shields rattling agaist each other. They moved or rather separated them by about 2 or 3 inches so they said and the rattling was gone, they had fixed it. I drove off and did not hear it until I got about half way home, after giving the engine enough time to really heat up. I have researched as much as I can on what's going on, but I thought I would find a forum of other VW owners so I could try and find some real advice from other owners. I am at a loss of what to do because I do not want to be stuck with a "lemon" seeing as the vehicle is BRAND new! Again, I only hear it when I am accelerating and only in certain RPM ranges. I thought it could be the turbo, because I only hear it when I am getting on the gas and the turbo is engaged. If I accelerate slowly and "like s grandma" I do not hear it.

Any help would be great!

Also, does anyone have issues with the speedometer needle reading something different than the electronic display? The needle on mine "shakes" up and down and is normally about 2 MPH off.