Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car getting a little hot!

Old 09-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Default Car getting a little hot!

Hey, sorry for so many post's.
A couple of months ago, I noticed my car was getting extreemly hot and barly losing any water. So i took it in to a mechanic and he said that the piece connects the water hose to the heater was damaged, so instead of replacing it (I am a college student, i have no $) he by- passed the heater and hooked it directly to the engine( No heater ). My car ran well for a while. When i start it cold it will never get hotter than middle tickmark on the themostat, but when i start the car when it is warm it always goes past the middle tick to 1/8 over and then steedly comes ALMOST back to half, and will run a little above half. It seems like my fans do not kick on in time?
Whats going on ? Should i be worried ?

Old 09-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Car getting a little hot!

it sounds like a jimmy rig job, and i dunno any mechanic that would've done that. Some serious damage could be caused i would think. I can't tell you wether or not that your car will break or not, but that hose would seriously need to be fixed.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Default RE: Car getting a little hot!

Ive done that... bypassed the heater core on my Saab... no harm, just rules out the heater (which you hardly ever need around here anyway) Should run just fine without cause the hose usually goes to the heater core and then to motor, as long as its not bypassing anything important you should be fine. Never heard a mechanic do that but We did. You say youre fans arent workin all the time, check the fuses/relays on them and the plug from the wire to the fan itself. ive had little things like that screw with me before and perhaps check the thermostat, though if it wasnt working the car would probably get hotter.

Good luck
-joel