Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Please wife's little car in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 10:41 PM
Default HELP Please wife's little car in trouble

Ok after 2 weeks of searching online, I have wound up here with hopes someone can answer my question. My wife drives a 1996 Golf GL 2.0 liter. Not a performance car by any means...but I am looking to replace her exhaust again due to it keeps rotting out. It only has 30,000 miles on it. So u can see my problem. About 2 mile a day , the exhaust pipes never get hot enough to burn out any condensation. So here is my problem. I wanna go stainless steel but not lound. It seems that most of the after market cat back kits are made for the VR6. My question is, " Will it fit the little 4cly 2.0?". I think the only difference between the two was just the engine, not the exhaust. Another thing is when I punch in 1996 Golf GL ...it sometimes come up Golf III. What is a Golf III? and is it the same. I had someone run the VIN on one of these web sites and he said her car was made in Mexico. I thought all Volkswagens were just assembled there..not manufactured. And what difference would that make anyway. Thanks for any help with this.
Looking for affordable stainless cat back system...not lound.... for the wifes little green beep beep.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Jsd
Default RE: HELP Please wife's little car in trouble

Simply put, go to "bobs" exhaust shop and just get one made from scratch out of stainless. This way you can pick and choose what size, mufflers etc. Dont' waste your money on cat-backs.

This should solve your problem. As for it rusting the way it does...I dunno, my golf use to sit all week and only be used on the weekend and I didn't have exhausts rotting out like that. Just from winter salt thats on the roads.

bah, hope it helps somewhat.

-Jeff

Old 07-25-2006, 12:06 AM

Would'nt that cost a small fortune? I didn't think any run of the mill muffler shop would bend up stainless? Would they?

Old 07-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Jsd

Well, you can shop around...if you're only going from the cat back...it should be fine but if you want stainless...thats another story. Honestly, it costs nothing for them to buy the stainless piping compared to what they charge, thats just a fact of life. Just shop around, get some quotes. Yea, I kinda take what I said back, just do some shopping first before you drop any cash on any exhaust work.

-Jeff

Old 07-25-2006, 09:20 PM

Do u know if the 1996 golf Gl will take the same exhaust as the Vr6 version? Like will this one fit...it's not stainless but looks good.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PACES...11690673QQrdZ1

or how about this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-VO...10261273QQrdZ1

Old 07-28-2006, 01:35 AM

well your going to be in for alot of cash, i have a black 96 golf gl with about 123000 miles on it, i drive it about 400 miles a week and i jsut got the first exaust done on it about 4 months ago, i was an idiot and went to a minikee which was stupid and had all the exaust pipes replaced along with the resonater and a muffler, by no means preformance stuff, i cheaped out and went stock and still spend 630 bucks, jsut do it yourself, save the cash itll be a small fortune the other way around good luck

Old 07-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Jsd

Honestly I can't tell you which exhausts will fit on what. Try messaging the owners of the exhausts and asking them personally. Otherwise, you are looking at some coin....exhausts shop rip people off left right and centre, it's the one place people seem to be extremely ignorant about but there's nothing you can do to get around it unless you have a pipe bender or know how to weld. Just hope you get quality bends and decent welds.

-Jeff

Old 08-18-2006, 11:47 AM

If your looking for a stainless exhaust that ins't going to be loud and sound like crap I wouldn't buy one on ebay. It is cheap but I think it may be loud. The Remus exhaust on my car sounds great but isn't loud and doesn't drone on the highway. I have also heard Autotech, Borla, and Jetex are also pretty quiet. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2006, 12:16 PM

Hi There,
Stainless steel exhaust system--- Go to www.autopartswarehouse.com
On the performance side click on it for make and then year. Next screen click on Golf. Golf III is the 3rd version in the VW Golf brand.
Couple diff. brands or sytems to choose from. A Cat Back Magnaflow 2.5" is $479.37 with FREE shipping. I've ordered hundreds of dollars from this site with very good results and fast shipping.
You need to look for the 2.0 engine size in "A" or "B" ABA engine code. GTi or GL is basically the same for 1996. Badges and interior are diff.
I've had a Stainless steel system for a long long time now. I've got 190K on my exhaust! I've had to replace the cheap steel clamps (rusted in half) clamps with Stainless steel band clamps from www.summitracing.com

Hope this helps you a little more!
Scott