Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery problems or worse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Default battery problems or worse?

I drive a 97 vr6 and yesterday I attempted to start it up, it wouldnt start and it was obvious it was a bad battery connection. The pos. battery terminal was pretty gunked up so i cleaned it and my car started right up. As i pulled out, and madea left hand turn, it wasnt 50 yds later that I lost all power. The car shut off and the oil light kicked on just before and started blinking. I pulled to the side of the road and checked the oil. Very little on the dipstick, so i added 2 quarts and its full. The car still would not start even after disconnecting the battery to reset. The oil light blinks and the battery light stays on while it turning over. After several more attempts and about an hour laterthe car starts, it sputters at first but then sounds ok. The battery and oil light turn off while its idoling. I think all is well and click on the ac (itsSO hot outside) and again my car dies. For another hour it wouldnt start. I finally get it to start and just to make sure it was theac that killed it i turn it on, and again the car dies. This time it starts right up and I drive it a very shortdistance home, and on my way it loses power momentarily then continues down the road.Thinking its still a bad battery connection so I clean the terminals all very well. From that point on it would not start and still will not.

It turns over, and the dash lights, the door chime, the radio all work, it just will not fire. The oil level is fine, and since the oil light and battery lightwent off while it was running, I dont feel oil pressure is the problem. I am leaning towards a fuel problem, i.e fuel pump, relay switch, fuel filter, except the a/c thing throws me off a little and points towards a battery/electrical problem. Also the a/c for 2 days before that suddenlystopped blowing out cold air, only warm.

My engine light was already on so im not sure if it threw a code, but i will check that today. just wondering if anyone has expreinced any similar problems or knows what might be the culprit. Thanks in advance!!