Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery problems on 2005 Jetta

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Default Battery problems on 2005 Jetta

I've got a 2005 Jetta that I apparently don't drive often enough. I replaced the battery this summer, but I let the car sit for a couple of weeks and the battery went dead. I attempted to jump the car, but it turned only a couple of times before giving me a bunch of clicking noises.

The interesting thing is that, when I first got into the car to try jumping it, something in the car was making a clicking sound that sounded like the one I got when attempting to start the car. Which leads me to think I've got an electrical problem of some kind, something that drained the battery. Or do I need a new alternator?

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Default RE: Battery problems on 2005 Jetta

The clicking noise you described when you got in your car isnothing serious i was told. Its just when your battery gets extremly dead it starts making clicking noises, and struggles to power yourclock and all the other stuff,that can last for awhile. Mine has done it everytime my battery dies from leaving my sirius radio on by accident. What kind of car did your try to jump it with? My brothers Ford Fusions battery died and we tried to jump it with my Jetta but it didnt do anything, So we used my dads cummins and it fired right up.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:11 PM

Thanks! We tried it again today, and I think it's another issue. I checked out the battery with a voltmeter when we started out, and I was getting 12 volts. But it still wouldn't start. It turns over a couple of times, then click-click-click. What else should I be checking?

Old 12-14-2008, 10:05 PM

it should be putting out 12.6v at least, anything under that may not start your car or it might start depends on the car, so make sure that its that high, if it is get under the car to the starter and put the red wire on the positive to the starter, and the black wire to the ground

Old 01-13-2009, 08:17 PM

All right, turns out the jumper cables weren't big enough. I bought a better pair and was able to jump it.

The thing is, I let it run for half an hour after jumping it, and I couldn't get it started again afterwards! The voltage on the batteries while the car was running was 13.8-14.0, which I believe indicates that I haven't (yet) fried the alternator. However, after trying and failing to start the car the voltage was only 11.0.

My thinking at this point is to take out the battery, drag it to an auto parts store and have them test it. If the battery is okay, I'll take the car to a mechanic and have them look at the electrical system.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:21 AM

damn volkswagen and their battery eating cars... lmao. I drove mine the other day came home and parked it later in the evening, next morning... dead battery.... luckily i called around everyone wanted around 115 for one, good old walmart had the exact brand and replacement for 62 bucks