Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems and problems!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Exclamation Problems and problems!

I bought my 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T brand new. It was running just FINE until last summer where major repairs were needed. Those include replacing timing belt, water pump, PCV, et cetera et cetera. I paid around $3,000 for everything. This was at VW shop.

Just last week, my alternator died. I paid $397 for it to be replaced (rip off, I know). But this was performed from a local auto shop, not VW due to save money on towing.

just FOUR days after my alternator was replaced, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp turned on. (am i really that surprised?!??!)

I took it to Auto Zone after doing my own scan reading. Both said P0172.

Auto Zone says those are the probable causes: 1. Leaking fuel pressure regulator or injector; 2. Faulty canister purge solenoid; and 3. Faulty H02S (Heated oxygen sensor) Bank 1.

I called VW where I took my car to last summer for repair to see if it's possible that warranty (if there is such a thing) would cover because my car is encountering more problems after major repairs... they told me it is $126 to do diagnostic.

What do you suggest me to do? $126 is ridiculous! They also told me that they don't "trust" Auto Zone because they're just "parts store".

HELLPPPPPP please!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2011, 10:23 AM

I do believe that being carefull with AutoZone and Advance Auto, etc. is something that you should do. VW tends to be a bit more difficult when it comes to maintenance. I know of several Garages here in New England that wont even touch VW at all, when they have no problems working on BMW, etc.
What I heard that the main downside to AutoZone and such, is that they will sell you aftermarket parts, not generic OEM's. This apparantly can cause issues.

Diagnostics for that price is steep, that is correct. The local Tire Pros here does if for 79.95. They use the same type of tool that VW Dealers would use for as far as I know.