Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Jetta Wagon Reat Hatch Latch

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 12:05 AM
Default 2002 Jetta Wagon Reat Hatch Latch

If I unlock all my doors (either with the remote or with the unlock button in the drivers door) my rear hatch opens fine. If the doors are locked and I press the hatch button on the drivers door, it won't open. The manual says once I press the hatch button on the drivers door, I have 60 seconds to open the rear hatch. Well when I press the hatch button, I hear the hatch servo motor activate. When I go back to open it, you can hear the motor operate each time I press the button (above the license plate) on the hatch but it won't open. I know the latch and motor are good because it opens fine when the doors are unlocked. I also noticed that the latch has three positions: it has a fully latched position, a fully open position and an "in-between" position. When the hatch is closed, the latch is fully latched and the door is tightly closed. When you press the hatch button on the drivers door, the latch is in that "in-between" state and the hatch is not tightly closed, but it will not open. Does this make any sense?

Old 05-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Someone had the exact same problem a long time ago. They never posted again to say what it was. I think there is a problem with that 60 sec. deal. It must be part of the comfort module. Try resetting your ECU by disconnecting your battery cables and holding them together for a couple of minutes. Your car will take some time relearning it's settings so take it for a spin. It will run rough for just a bit but, when your done it may run better than it has in a long time. Then test the hatch. Good luck. Let me know what happens.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:41 AM

Resetting the computer has no affect. I do remember a while ago I asked the dealer about it. I described the problem to a mechanic over the phone and he said it sounded like it needed the "latch tension" adjusted. Does anyone know how to do this? I think he is on the right track though, it seems like a problem with the latch and not a mechanical problem. If I have someone sit in the back and push on the door while I press the hatch button on the door, it will open. But by its self, the latch just goes into that "in-between" state. Does anyone have a diagram or other mechanical info about the latch?

Old 05-24-2009, 07:11 PM

I went in and messed with the latch mechanism today. I adjusted the latch so that there is no "middle position" now when I use the door trunk release button, the hatch "pops" open. I don't think this is the right way to do it, but it works. Also, whether I use the button in the driver door or the button on the remote, the servo motor immediately disengages. Is this normal? It would make sense for the motor to stay engaged until the time limit to open the hatch is up at which point it would then disengage and lock again.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, that's normal.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:36 PM

Normal? How can the hatch "pop" but still have a 2 min time limit like it describes in the manual? Other Wagon owners report then the FOB button and door button should only activate the electronic rear hatch release button under the handle. That would make sense. I think someone has modded this car and now I want to get it back to the right specs.