Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Jetta Misfire

Old 06-11-2019, 11:28 AM
Default 05 Jetta Misfire

Hello, I bought an 05 Jetta GL with the 2.0 BBW engine from somebody going through a rough time for a cheap price. The car had a bad misfire and he didn't have the money to spare to fix it. Upon getting the car I put a code reader on it and it read misfire for all 4 cylinders(p301,p302,p303, p304 and the pd codes to match). I figured this a problem that effects all 4 cylinders so I got a coil pack from a junkyard vehicle, and new wires from Autozone. I pulled the spark plugs and they seemed to be in great shape so I didn't get any new ones. this in turn eliminated the misfire ibn cylinders #2, #3 and #4 but # 1 is still there with the check engine code of P301 and pd301. I then read up and found low fuel pressure can cause misfires too. I put a fuel gauge on the fuel rail and find out my pressure should be between 3.5 to 5 bar and its low at 2 bar. I replaced the pump. (Had to buy a 2nd one because my car has the metal tank so I had to get that special pump). That straightened out the fuel pressure but I still have the misfire. So I now check the compression. I put my gauge on cylinder 1 and have 0 compression. I wanted to compare cylinders and #4 is the easiest to access due to that intake manifold and #4 has 185 PSI which is great. Went back to #1 to confirm and yes it is 0. So after manually turning the crankshaft I can verify my piston is moving so I don't think that is broken which would really suck. So I'm thinking this is an intake or exhaust valve in the #1 cylinder that is stuck open or broken and Ill have to remove the head to get this repaired. Does this sound familiar to anyone and if so what did you do if anything different?

Old 06-13-2019, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 04/2001-01/2005, Model: Jetta, Engine Code: BBW, 85Kw, 115PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: California

You have missed numbers of those EODB II error codes what did you scan the car with?

e.g.

VAG Error Code: 16685/15125/10591/4054/000769

EOBD II Error Code: P0301

Fault Location:
Cylinder 1 - Misfire Detected

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Lack/loss of power.
Hard start.
Engine hesitation.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Ignition system.
Fuel injectors.
Fuel pressure.
Running out of fuel.
EVAP canister purge valve.
Evaporative emission system.
Low compression.
Base engine problems.
Engine Control Module (ECM) damaged.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Do a compression test.
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 15 if misfire changes location.

Special Notes:
This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

Tech Notes:
The P0301 code means that the cylinder 1 is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks an if no leaks are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs on cylinder 1. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

Description:
When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor (G28)/Crankshaft Position Sensor (G28) signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

VAG Error Code: 16686/15128/10592/7115/8736/4057/000770

EOBD II Error Code: P0302

Fault Location:
Cylinder 2 - Misfire Detected

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Lack/loss of power.
Hard start.
Engine hesitation.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Ignition system.
Fuel injectors.
Fuel pressure.
Running out of fuel.
EVAP canister purge valve.
Evaporative emission system.
Low compression.
Base engine problems.
Engine Control Module (ECM) damaged.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Do a compression test.
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 15 if misfire changes location.

Special Notes:
This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

Tech Notes:
The P0302 code means that the cylinder 2 is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks an if no leaks are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs on cylinder 2. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

Description:
When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor (G28)/Crankshaft Position Sensor (G28) signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software

Old 06-18-2019, 10:33 AM

I didn't have a VW specific code reader just had my little generic one.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

I guessed that that's why I posted the error codes that match.