Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 jetta 2.5 valve cover problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Default '05 jetta 2.5 valve cover problems

So Ive had my jetta for 10 months. I had no problems with it for the first 7. I got it with 52000 on it and now it has about 64000. I am having problems with the valve cover. It keeps fouling out. I had it at my mechanic for about two weeks and he changed out the valve cover along with coils and plugs and the car still didnt run right so I brought it to another guy who is supposibly the best with vw's and this guy said I got a deffective valve cover and got a new one and put it on. I had all the cylinder's misfiring with random misfire code and intake leak code. After driving it for about 40 miles the check engine light started blinking again after I got it back. I checked the code and it was a cylinder 5 misfire. I drove it straight back to the second guy I brought it to and they said to bring it in monday so I'm going to do that but Im wondering what is causing these covers to fail. They did a smoke test and said that the last valve cover was messed up and put this one in. they said there was no other leaks but the valve cover. I have also lost about 10 MPG since this problem has been happening. what you guys think?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 991
Size:  951 Bytes

You need to get your motor scanned for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 12-08-2013, 10:22 PM

Well I started with codes P0300, P0302, P0301, P0303, P0304, P0305, and P2279. I have all of these before I had the first valve cover changed out then they came on again after about 30 miles were put on and then the second valve cover got put on and right now I just have P0305 but all of the coil packs were changed and were also changed under the recall before I go the car. No sure If an air intake leak could cause me to keep breaking these valve covers?

Old 12-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

VAG Error Code: 16684

EOBD II Error Code: P0300

Fault Location:
Random/Multiple Cylinder(s) - Misfire Detected

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Lack/loss of power.
Hard start.
Engine hesitation.

Air Intake System leaking.
Fuel Supply faulty.
Injector(s) faulty.
Ignition Cable(s) and/or Spark Plug(s) faulty.
Ignition coil(s).
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) stuck/open.
Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty.
Low compression.
Wiring/Connector(s).

Possible Solutions:
Check Misfire Recognition.
Check Air Intake System.
Check Fuel Supply.
Check Injector(s) and Injector Sealing.
Check Ignition Cable(s) and Spark Plug(s).
Check Ignition Coil(s).
Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18).
Check Camshaft Position Sensor (G40).
Check cylinder compressions.

Special Notes:
This Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) indicates that one or multiple cylinders are misfiring, but the ECU fails to identify the cylinder.

Tech Notes:
The P0300 code means that a cylinder(s) is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks, intake gaskets are common caused of multi-cylinder misfiring. If no leak are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

When is the code detected?:
The control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition.

Description:
When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

VAG Error Code: 16685

EOBD II Error Code: P0301

Fault Location:
Cylinder 1 - Misfire Detected

Possible Cause:
Lack/loss of power.
Hard start.
Engine hesitation.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Ignition system.
Fuel injectors.
Fuel pressure.
Running out of fuel.
EVAP canister purge valve.
Evaporative emission system.
Low compression.
Base engine problems.
Engine Control Module (ECM).

Special Notes:
This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

Tech Notes:
The P0301 code means that the cylinder 1 is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks an if no leaks are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs on cylinder 1. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem.

When is the code detected?:
Engine Cylinder 1 is misfiring.

Description:
When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

That's the same for P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305 but a different cylinder.

VAG Error Code: 18711

EOBD II Error Code: P2279

Fault Location:
Leak in Air Intake System

Possible Cause:

Vacuum Leak.
Intake Manifold Runner Position out of Specification.
Faulty Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System or Heating Element (N79).

Possible Solutions:
Check Intake System for Leaks.
Check Intake Manifold Runner.
Check (PCV) System and / or Heating Element if applicable.

Special Notes:
When found in the NAR (North American Region) 2.0T (BPY) check RVUTB: 01-09-03 or 2018919 for updated Crankcase Breather Valve.
If the breather valve is faulty, full engine vacuum is typically found when removing the oil cap at idle.

As taken from my https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ge...oftware-34973/

Old 12-09-2013, 04:54 PM

Pretty sure its something with the timing. No code came up but the valve cover is still got and I can hear a cluttering sound on accel. what you think the price will be to have to timing done?

Old 12-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

I couldn't tell you a price as you haven't added your Location or the exact details about your motor like you've been asked twice.

If your surfing on a phone then I've no interest it what you have to say, sorry. People live on phones and that pisses me off.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 PM

sorry, my car is in the shop now and so im not able to get my car spec. its the 2.5L motor and im out of fitchburg ma and no im not on my phone I just a my first smart phone about a month ago and dont even have any social media. I dont live off my phone at all im on my computer