New GTI Break-In, and Oil Lag

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Default New GTI Break-In, and Oil Lag

As much as I discuss things of this nature, I dont think I have ever met 2 people that say the same thing about break-in. Of course we all know about http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm but how relevant is it really with todays newer cars? I would love to hear fresh opinions on this subject. Heres mine:

First some facts on the issue of "Oil Lag", as I never see it expressed to the public as it should be, really should be in the owners manual. For any car with a Turbocharger, the turbo generates an extreme amount of heat when under load, the turbine wheel spinning in excess of 100,000RPM at full boost. Keeping this in mind, you drive lets say 40 miles, pull into a spot and turn the car off. Your turbo is VERY HOT the steady supply of oil that was keeping your turbo cool is now cut off, the turbo will now boil the residual oil until it cokes up and over a long time will plug oil passages. This process, "Oil Lag" is by far the #1 cause of turbo failure. That said, leave your car running for 45sec-2min before ever shutting it off even on short trips not just for break-in but ALWAYS, this will allow oil to circulate and cool the turbo before shutdown, or install a turbo-timer which does it for you.

Now: To a small extent, your engine is broken in before it leaves VW. Some people have the misconception that this means it is completely broken in when you pick it up from the dealer, and in my opinion this is simply not the case. The key factor of course being piston ring seating, but as you are trying to seat your rings properly, other parts of the engine are still "breaking-in" and hardening as well. So how do you balance seating the rings without putting excessive strain on your new engine?

First 1000 miles: Avoid heavy modification, DO NOT use cruise control, DO NOT maintain a steady speed or rpm for extended periods of time, DO NOT exceed 100mph. The key here is to vary engine RPM frequently. 3500rpm should be your ceiling for this time, going a little above or below now and again is no big deal. I dont personally believe the % of throttle applied to achieve this is a major concern but avoid WoT. If you must make long trips on the highway, every few minutes drop a gear and slow down, then accelerate back up. After the first 1000, I personally do an oil change.

1000-3000 miles: You can be pretty sure at this point your engine is ready for your style of driving. Many people recommend introducing the engine to its full power range. I would say avoid frequent trips to redline but agree with this method. Keep taking it easy when you can, but feel free to indulge in your fast.

3000+: All bets are off at this point, ive heard break-in procedures up to 10,000 miles but I simply dont find this practical. Enjoy your car and treat it based on how long you plan to keep it. Though it could be argued that babying a car is as bad as beating the crap out of it, so in the end whatever works best for you and your style is the way to go.