Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine rough at idle and power lag

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Default Engine rough at idle and power lag

Hi all,

I recently had an engine overheating problem which was caused by a cracked impellor in the pump. The mechanic replaced it and replaced a number of other things including the timing belt (kit), thermostat, radiator cap, by-pass hose and ignition leads. (2004 MkIV Golf)

Driving it home from the mechanic (less than 500 yards), I noticed the engine seemed to run a little rough at idle. I took it for a good run today (about 70kms up the freeway) and noticed a number of problems which were not present prior to me taking it to he mechanic.

Firstly, the engine runs a little rough at idle (it isn't really rough, but gently shudders). When I put my foot on the accelerator I get a very long lag before the engine kicks in (several seconds). In second gear the engine becomes jerky after the gear change until the revs raise above about 3000ish (not entirely certain though). Finally, I was accelerating in 5th gear up a long gentle hill (increasing from 100kph to about 110kph) when the engine became very jerky.

Obviously my first thought is that the mechanic has stuffed something up, but I've not got a lot of idea what it might be. Can anyone give me an idea of what might be happening and whether you think it might have been caused by the mechanic?

Cheers

Old 08-15-2010, 02:11 AM

Is the check engine light on?? Have you check the air filter??
It might be that the timing is a little bit off.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:58 PM

yeah, it seems that your timing is a bit off because you said earlier that the engine is jerky until it reaches est. 3000rpm, that's when the turbo starts to produce much more power. I'd have the engine's timing checked or if that isn't the problem, maybe that by-pass hose that was replaced...

I hope i helped

Old 09-15-2010, 05:33 AM

I have just replaced the manifold and the noise of leak is gone,but some problems are still there so replaced spark plugs,wires,also fuel filter at last month it was ok, no use initially it was running ok but as usual had same problem again what should i do now?can anybody help me for this?

Old 09-15-2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by twilight
I have just replaced the manifold and the noise of leak is gone,but some problems are still there so replaced spark plugs,wires,also fuel filter at last month it was ok, no use initially it was running ok but as usual had same problem again what should i do now?can anybody help me for this?
And again i say... check your engine timing... The best timing is that when de gas/air mixture explodes in the combustion chamber the piston is at it's highest point, if not, go to garage and have your engine timed. When your engine is off timing you will have loss of power due to that de mixture explosion get's actually too much space in the cylinder and therefor the piston will not be pressed down as hard as when there is much less space. And when your turbo starts to work, that mixture will be multiplied because of forced air induction.

conclusion: Get your engine timing correct

grtz