Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VW Golf Bluemotion se = fire/electrical problems??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Default VW Golf Bluemotion se = fire/electrical problems??

Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle!,
As I am a big fan of VW I had one of these on a lease scheme through work as I do a lot of mileage.
Last month, three months into the lease on a brand new car I noticed an electrical smell coming through the vents on the way home in difficult driving conditions (remember the snow?), concerned, I was heading for a safe place to pull over on a busy A road during 'hometime'. Then I got smoke (which I first thought was steam) which very quickly turned black and I was unable to see or breathe, the window was down a couple of inches, but even so, I couldn't locate the door handle (probably through panic as I was no longer breathing oxygen!), eventually I scrabbled about and thankfully the electric window was still working, I dropped it fully and I was able to find the handle after getting some air and exited the vehicle as flames were coming through the glovebox.
So anyway, a bit traumatic and I am still here, I'm wondering if there are other experiences out there and what did VW do about it?, I'm a bit stuck because VW owe their explanation in the first instance to the owner which isn't me, it's the lease car firm so I feel as if I may be kept completely in the dark about the cause,
..any suggestions and experiences gratefully recieved..!