Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seized rear door lock Mark II Golf ... Help !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Default Seized rear door lock Mark II Golf ... Help !!

I have a real problem here .........my trusty old H reg Golf is due MOT soon - and I have just found - as I don't normally use it - that the rear o/s passenger door lock is seized in the locked position with the door closed.

I 've tried taking the internal door panel off and manipulating the lock levers by manual means but no joy... so it looks like it's fully siezed even after a good soaking with WD40. I've taken the door rubbers off to get a view of the lock and pin and I can see it but not do any thing much else. It' so frustrating - I don't want to damage the door as the body work is good for the age - but to replace and respray - it wouldn't be cost effective ontop of the other stuff I know needs doing for the MOT. Any bright ideas ?

Old 06-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Jsd
Default RE: Seized rear door lock Mark II Golf ... Help !!

You can try using a product called 'Breakaway', much stronger than WD40. If that doesn't work, you might have to replace the whole lock assembly. I don't know what else to suggest, hopefully others will have some ideas that are more beneficial to your problem. Personally, the rear door handle is broken on my VW, I could care less to replace it lol...it happens, locks, handles, in the end, usually end up being replaced, unless you come across a trick to fix it. As well, sometimes, using excessive force can unseize or fix it :-) Just pull on it till it goes...(last resort)

-Jeff

Old 06-13-2006, 09:25 AM

Thanks Jeff

I'll try the Breakaway - but I've tried the brute force method - and I'm sure I need the door to open and close safely for the MOT don't I ? So I can't just leave it. A thought occurred to me - do you think I could cold chisel the lock catch off ?

Cheers

Old 06-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Jsd

Yeah, the door must open period and close properly. You could try that, I would at any point now to make it pass. Just get that door to open and close, worry about it locking later.

-Jeff

Old 06-26-2006, 11:57 AM

I've just had my mk2 mot'd and the rear door is completely siezed shut - it passed - it's only the front doors that need to open - google the mot test to check.

Hope that helps.

Matt

Old 06-28-2006, 10:45 AM

Cheers Matt - I guess I should have checked the MOT site

But as it happens by judicious use of a narrow cold chisel I got the lock catch open ( locking pin intact), forked out a tenner for a lock from scrap, fitted it yesterday and its fine again.

Thanks for your comments

Paul