Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No power to dash now car won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rhys Drummond
I had a similar problem on a 2004 Polo. Easy fix.
1. There was an electrolytic capacitor which had 2 dry joints. It was also swollen- replaced.
2. Both connectors had multiple dry solder joints. Take your time, use flux gell, get some good heat in and get some quality solder joint repairs happening. Solder them all.

We have a working car again!
Rhys Drummond, where are the electrolytic capacitors located which you fixed in your 2004 Polo tdi?

I had to google a LOT and it seems like your fix makes sense. It seems that a LOT of people are all-of-a-sudden (esp. since 2020) experiencing the exact same issue (with slight differences on the lights on the cluster going on/off) and it seems that electrolytic capacitors all have a life expectancy of 10 years or so. It also seems that the material inside the EC has a tendency to evaporate or leak over time and is heat sensitive as well as the fact that the casing can also perish over time. So, seeing that the EC has the function to act like a "dam wall" by gathering up charge (voltage/amps) and then releasing it in one go, it could perhaps be this unit which seems to be the "ghost in the system" for so many of us.

If you have any photos of where the unit is located within the vehicle, as well as perhaps what the EC's looks like, it would help the rest of us to fault-find itself. Intriguingly enough, it seems to be a GLOBAL issue and Ive seen other owners from other countries all complain about the same exact issue (like I said, especially since 2020), which really makes me think it has to be some part with a life-expectancy which is going bad. All also complain that the VW mechanics do NOT know what the issue is and cant seem to solve the problem.

So, your inputs is greatly appreciated and any further guidance would be much appreciated as well.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Aakash Shadrach
How did you solve your issue? I have the exact same issue.
change battery in key Fob fixed my issue