Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hesitation, misfire, secondary air injection

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Default hesitation, misfire, secondary air injection

please help...i have a 99 golf gl. over the past 4 years the engine has misfired repeatedly but not enough to make the light go on or to cause any major malfunctions. However, over the past 4 months the car has been misfiring very badly, once the code said it was in cilinder 4, another time just a random misfire. In addition (and really the bigger problem) the car hesistates a lot usually in 1st or 2nd gear, and will sometimes even stall out and quit, enough to have it towed. The air filter, mass air flow sensor, fuel filter, catalytic convertor, have all been changed plus the wires, distributor cap, rotor and plugs, and the fuel injection lines have been cleaned twice. Usually there will be some noticeable improvement but it is shortlived. Today the light went on again but this time it read "flow in secondary air injection system is incorrect." The car now runs terribly!!! The dealer says they can't find the problem (But they also wanted to charge me $600 to change the power steering resevoir) and my two other mechanics can't figure it out either! I checked the NHTSA website and found out that there are other people having this same problem and am now going to replace relay 109....anybody, anywhere have any suggestions...i am getting desperate. Thanks