General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice please - Secondary air pump

Old 02-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Default Advice please - Secondary air pump

First post here, it looks like there are some knowledgeable people here and I was hoping to get some mechanical advice. The service engine light on my ’99 Cabrio popped on and I brought in to “Mr. Tire” to run a diagnosis. They told me the secondary air pump is shot and that I need a fuel system tune up and oil pan gasket.

I asked a mechanic friend if I should have the air pump replaced at the quoted price of almost $1100 and he said just to forget about it. Said it should not really affect performance/safety and is an emissions device. You guys agree that I should ignore it, or should I try to find a used part and replace myself at much cheaper? I believe that the unit is actually shot, but is it a crucial part?

As for the “fuel system tune up” I’m thinking this is probably not necessary. Any one disagree?

As for the oil pan gasket, I’m not noticing any loss of oil so I doubt that needs to be done.

I don’t mean to come off as anti-maintenance, it’s just that I think these guys are trying to pull one over on me. I brought in my other (newer and more expensive) car and I think they see me as a sucker.

Thanks,

Old 02-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Default RE: Advice please - Secondary air pump

ok. not sure about the air pump thing. but fuel system tune up is good. fuel filters trap water. if you take one and fill one end with just water none will come out. so that is a good thing. i do beleive it will clean out the lines too. as for the oil pan gasket shop around at places like canadian tire or the american equivalent. ( I live in canada eh?) if you can get a cheap one have an oil change done and ask them to put it in while their at it. hope it helps

Old 02-05-2007, 11:33 PM

welcome to the club, my air pump is shot too. the bad air pump may affect your fuel economy, and it may set other codes too, because the engine isnt getting enough air while it is getting plenty of fuel and spark, usually when you first start it., i hate the check engine light, it never goes away.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:56 AM

Welcome my to this forum... If I were you I would trust my mechanic friend because sometimes some autoshops just want money from their customers. Specially when they think their target has no knowleged about auto parts... Or maybe the are right that you should changed the air pumped but I don't agree with the price of $1100... Just in case you want to buy a VW fuel pump, you can search on line for a cheaper price...

Old 08-04-2007, 04:36 AM

With replacing all the vacuum hoses, the solenoid and valve, pump, combi valve, you couold be looking at a grand easily.