Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Golf MK2 Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 07:20 AM
Angry Golf MK2 Won't start

Hello guy's,

I've got a problem with my golf 2 1.3 Liter. Yesterday i was working on my project, putting on a new exhaust and bumpers... After i finished doing that I threw in the battery from my main car (peugeot 206) into my golf to test everything out and to see if there where no exhaust leaks. Before i started the car up i was checking if al the lights where working fine so i could go for a drive aswel. I checked everything and everything worked fine! Then I wanted to start the car up and the moment I turned the key I heard my starter working and then directly after a big click noise and the whole car died. Nothing works anymore... even the lights that where working before.. It looks like it has no power but the battery is fine since I'm using it in my peugeot. The only thing that still works in the golf is a little red flashing light. Thats it. So now the car won't start and the lights are not working aswel. Could it be an ignition cylinder switch problem?

Is there anybody that could help me out? Thanks!

Old 03-01-2020, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Default Welcome to Volkswagen Forum - Rules & Recommendations

Check for the normal is it getting fuel and is there a good spark on the plug leads.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:31 AM

Okey sorry didn't knew it had to happen. I made a post!

And yeah its getting fuel en spark but like literally nothing works anymore, like the lights worked before I started the car and now it doesn't.
And i can't go and scan in a garage since I still have to register the car. I'm only making test drives on a private road atm.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

If you have fuel and a good spark you need to check the timing belt hasn't broken.

Does it crank over at all?