Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 golf mk4 cranks but won't start please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 02:07 PM
Default 2000 golf mk4 cranks but won't start please help

I have tried a lot of things from other peoples posts here but most reffer to a sudden problem and mine is quite different. When I bought the car it had the upper manifold and head removed for months sitting in a garage. Then the car moved in a hurry to a driveway under a tree... Still disassembled. Long story short I got a great deal on craigslist and swapped the motor. Gave it to a friend to finish hooking up the electrical and vaccuum lines. He since has done a lot to get it running and finally gave it back all put together but not running.

Symptoms: cranks but won't start most times. Very rarely it will start and then peters out softly. No hard chugging or jerking just stops running. Key no longer locks or unlocks vehicle (but it may be the lock mechanism since the ignition recognizes the key and the light for the immobilizer doesn't stay on after the light test)

My friend said he had it running for a while with the upper intake off so it seems the motor isn't the problem.

Whats been done:
New starter
New battery
New coil pack
New plugs and wires.
New fuel injectors
New throttle body
Drained tank and lines put fresh gas n filter in twice
All fuses look fine
Timing was checked and rechecked
No loose connections I can readilly see.
Head lights/signals turn on no problem

Kinda pulling my hair out any ideas?

Old 10-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 11137
Size:  951 Bytes

You seemed to have tried the obvious.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

The other thing is the 109 relay which goes faulty regularly. You can crank the engine all day but it will never start. Its advisable to keep a spare one in the glove box as they can go at anytime.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 02-23-2017, 11:29 AM

I have a 2004 golf with a 2.0 engine and there are 2 relays on the fire wall that control the power to the ECM on the left side is a 100 on the right a 428 check or replace these and see if that solves the problem. There is not a 109 relay on the gas burners.