Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.8L Gas, oil filter housing removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Default 1.8L Gas, oil filter housing removal

Hi, I'm new here and hoping you can help me. My '89 Cabriolet (1.8L gas motor) just lost most of it's oil and after pushing it home (fortunately this happened a block away), I added some more oil and put a drain pan under it and fired it up. It's hemoraging out of the oil filter housing at the seam between the circular oil press. sending unit and the square base, just on top of where the filter screws into the housing.
I am moving and need this since this is to get to workmy only running car. So I drained the oil and pulled the filter off. There are three bolts holding this in place, one on top, two underneath. Removing the top one is not problem, regular hex head bolt. However, the bottom two are round and look to be allen type bolts. The problem is even with the filter removed I can not get a tool in there to remove them, the square base of the housing is in the way. How in the heck do you get this off? I looked through my Haynes manual, and not surprisingly, no mention of this. Also searched the internet and couldn't find anything there either. So hopefully one of you can help me.
Thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Default RE: 1.8L Gas, oil filter housing removal

Those allen type bolts, just could be TORX head bolts.
You might think about removing the engine mount bolts
on that one side and slightly jacking up the engine, so it
will tilt just a little and give more room.