Oil filter removal...HUGE PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Default Oil filter removal...HUGE PROBLEM

And typically, removing an oil filter is as simple as wrench and twist...but not today. This is a 98 Passat/2.8L that I just acquired last week. One of the first things I wanted to do with it was go through and do a tune up and start replacing routine items with my free time. So far, everything has been cake, but then I drained the oil. Hershey's syrup with a hint of black paint. Looks like it had been awhile since it was changed, but Im thinking, meh, Ive seen worse on other vehicles. Sooo, the pan gets done draining and I slap the wrench on... twist left, nothing. Twist right, nothing. I went either direction until the filter started to crumple. Then I switched to the band style wrench and the band wrench broke. In all my efforts, I managed to twist and crumple this filter to the point where the shell has torn. Now I have a chain style that I am trying to use, but the filter is so crumpled and in disarray that I cant grip it.

FIRST QUESTION... this is my first VW/German anything, which way loosens the filter? The Hanes guide doesnt specify, so I default to left/loose.

SECOND QUESTION... Surely someone out there has had a jagged object do similar damage. How in the world do I get this thing off at this point? Im running out of options, and I really dont want to tow it to VW for repair. Im not looking forward to that bill at all.