Oil leak(small) from the filter housing.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:33 AM
Default Oil leak(small) from the filter housing.

When i purchased my 2010 Beetle Conv. 2.5L 5cyl, it did not have any leaks.

Not sure what kind of oil was used in it before i got it, but i am using the manufacturer approved Valvoline Synthetic plus 1 qt. of Lucas Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer,with a Mann's filter & gasket.

Now it has leaked after both of my oil changes!

I'm almost sure it has something to do with the filter housing, because i have slowed it down by putting extra elbow into it!
(A lot more than i know i should have!)
I never would normally tighten one up like this but i had to try to stop this leak, as it was leaking before i really bowed up on it! Plus I had one of those fast-change shops do it this last time and it still leaks.

Does anyone think It could have something to do with the filter housing-
GASKET, or does the filter HOUSING need replaced?

Or could it just be my rotten luck, and i just think it is coming directly from the housing, but instead it is coming from the part that the housing screws onto above the filter housing?
(i read that in another thread- but i really think it has something to do with the housing since the leak did not start until i removed and re-installed it)

Anyway, i am tired of seeing a silver dollar piece sized, oil pool under the car after i drive it! (I am loosing Appox. 3/4 of a qt. between changes.)

Anyone ever had this problem?
Thanks,
Scottyboy--(ENG./ BPR)--- (TRANS./KGR)

Old 06-26-2015, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Oil filters don't need a lot of torque when tightening, without seeing it, it looks like you need a new housing.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:40 PM

Thanks!
I want to ask you about another thing i thought about.

I noticed on 1 out of 3 filters that i purchased, the rubber gasket was round, instead of flat. I used the flat one, because the one i removed was flat.
Why was one of them round and all the others flat?

I did want to tell you this also.
When i bought the car, they had just changed the oil, but figured i would change it again, just to make sure it had the correct synthetic oli being used in it.
When i did, i noticed that they had not been changing the frikin filter at all! It was terrible! All dirty, with crudy oil and practically falling apart! So i did the oil flush thing they suggested at the parts store, then changed the oil again, and hoping it didnt do any damage before i got it.
But it really is a fast strong down the road engine, other than that occasional ticking sound.
Anyway, just wanted to fill you in, and thanks for the help.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Search for the part number on VOLKSWAGEN Autopart Catalogue

A round O ring should work ok as it goes flat when compressed.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 03-06-2016, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
Search for the part number on VOLKSWAGEN Autopart Catalogue

A round O ring should work ok as it goes flat when compressed.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keith, I still have a very small leak from the filter housing area.
I have already purchased and tried 2 of the cheaper Doorman brand housings, but still have the leak.
So my next question is this:
1)---Do you think the more expensive one would take care of it, OR
2)---Do you think the leak is coming from above the filter housing and running down the housing?
>>>>>Usually by now after having tried 2 new housings, i should probably assume it is coming from above it,
BUT
The reason i still think it is the housing myself, is because when i bought the car it did not leak. It did not start until i changed the oil, which was right after i got the car. As i posted somewhere on here, the filter had not been changed in a long time because the filter was a crudy sludgy mess!
But anyway, with that said i have found a ECS brand METAL/Chrome or black filter housing that cost $90.00. Compared to the $28.00 Doorman plastic one, i sure hate to pay for it, then find out it still has a leak?
But what do you think? What would you do at this point?
The leak is bad enough that i just had to add 1 qt after 4k miles, so i have got to stop this!
Also, do you know of a good way to check above the filter housing for a leak? That engine is so packed in there i can not see enough to tell anything from under or from the top of the car.
Any help at all will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

Last edited by scottyboy24; 03-06-2016 at 01:04 AM.