Unusual Aggression against my Beetle... Help!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Default Unusual Aggression against my Beetle... Help!?

So I've had my beetle for about 6 months. This is my fourth car in 12 years and never have I felt such disregard and aggression towards me when I'm driving. I have to note that I'm a pretty passive driver and don't provoke other drivers.

There are a few notable incidents:

Incident #1

I was driving on the Freeway at about 70mph steady. A Mercedes comes from behind and is about to pass me. He then slows to my speed and starts revving up and revving up and so on. I ignored him and kept going my 70. Then he rolled down all his windows and started staring at me still pumping his gas.. I saw this as an invite to race, which I ignored. Then all of a sudden he turned into my lane and ran me off the road! I hit the dirt but didn't spin out, recovered and got back on the freeway.. He sped off.

Incident #2

I turned right onto a main road. My right turn turns into its own lane on the main road. As I turned I saw a Jetta about 100 feet behind me in the other lane, not in mine. He pulled up next to me and starts dipping into my lane. At first I thought he was changing lanes and didn't see me so I gave him some room. He pulls away and turns into my lane again cutting me off really harsh. I'm on my breaks of course giving me some distance between my beetle and him. So the following break checks he pulls on me have no effect because I was already slower than him. I look at him kind of confused he flips me off as he speeds away. I kept going over this incident in my mind and there was no way that I had possibly cut him off or anything like that.

These are two isolated incidents but the minor **** I take from drivers daily annoys me the most!

Just one example, about twice a week when I turn into my parking lot I get honked at by the car riding my *** behind me. This is on a 35 suburban street with lots of Apartment driveways where the cars should expect people to be turning in and out of the parking lot areas. My other cars never got honked at on my street. It's gotten to the point where I double checked if my break lights still work and if my blinker is functional. I even try to slow down extra smooth nowadays just so I won't surprise the guy behind me and still every now and then someone lays on the horn.

Has anyone experienced this type of aggression towards them?
I've had imports and a raced out cougar in the past, I really expected this car to be the picture child of some more gentle driving times in my future, instead I'm like a driving road rage target.

Thanks