Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

UNUSUAL tire wear on Touareg

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Default UNUSUAL tire wear on Touareg

Start off with I own a 2005 Touareg and yes, the irony behind the log on may not make sense - however I have had more aircooled VW's than I can count and definately of those - brought more back to life than I have had watered cooled VW's. Nothing against the watercooled - of course or I wouldn't own one now with several other littering the garage.

On to the reason for the request for help. Not sure if anyone else that has owned a 2004 or newer Touareg, however it seems to be with the 19 inch rims, VW has matched the Pirelli tires. With the last two Touaregs I have had (2004 and 2005) I have had the same tire rim combination. I have noticed lately that I am wearing the center of the tire out from the tread that runs the down the middle. I know this due to the fact that we tagged a curb with the drivers right rear and had to replace it due to a sever bubble - so as I compare the two tires, the difference is obvious.

The first thought I had was the tire pressure - maybe too much. That can not be the case due to the fact that I am relegious about checking the tire pressure and very seldom does it need added to - therefore I am not loosing pressure. The factory sticker for the 19 inch rims is 41 in the front and 46 in the rear. Seems pretty high but checked and double checked that statistic.

The worst part of the entire thing is that I only have 15,000 miles on this car.

I have not approached the dealer about this yet - just reaching out to you all for any advise or understanding if anyone else has noticed this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:34 AM
Default RE: UNUSUAL tire wear on Touareg

to start off , i work at a tire shop, and having said that rarley do i go off of the sticker on the door , first look on the tire and see what max pressure is , im guessing 51 psi , second judge the pressures by your driving style, city,highway, heavy foot , and also if you carry any kind of weight in the vehicle aswell. if the centre of the tire is wearing , its too much air pressure