Oil in cooling system.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Default Oil in cooling system.

Hi,
I have a 2000 New Beetle and I have oil getting in to the cooling system and I don't know why. I had driven to work no problems no bizarre sounds ran just like normal. Then when I left work I drove about 2 feet and the overheat light and beep went off, so I parked and looked under the hood and the cooling system reserve tank was almost compleatly filled with oil and when I looked at the dip stick it looked like chocolate milk. I had my car towed to my dad's shop, he has been a gear head his whole life and he is scratching his head. I wish this car would stop his hate for Volkswagens, because I love them! If anyone has any suggestions please let me know thanks.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:20 AM
Default RE: Oil in cooling system.

hi Sag, I'll bet I have an answer for you although I have never seen under the hood of a new Beetle!
I understand that the engine is Golf,which is also Audi 80,of which I own 3 !--above the oil filter is an aluminium housing,which should have a couple of water hoses going in to it.
It is an oil heat exchanger and they tend to fail internally thus letting the oil [at engine pressure]into the water. They are a cinch to change[on the Audi anyway] but before you change it ,if you have had a filter change recently,could be a gasket problem. Good luck! I got one of my cars given to me because a mechanic had overhauled a suspect cyl head and still had the oil/water mix so he declared the block
cracked. Its running sweet--total cost to repair $10 for an exchanger from a wreck. Good luck

Old 05-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Default RE: Oil in cooling system.

Dont you just love it when you answer a cry for help,and dont get any sort of acknowledgement?
I dont expect bells and music, but a simple "thanks-that worked" or "your talking crap". Or maybe the guy died!
Sorry about that.