General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with cooling system? 2000 jetta

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Default problem with cooling system? 2000 jetta

ok so a couple months ago im taking a short road trip when the car overheats. i spend the night in a small town and find out the next day i need a new thermostat. after the thermostats been installed the car still overheats so the mechanic says it must be the water pump. i get the new water pump and after that im good to go.

fast forward about 2 months and im driving home from work at night.. i experience no problems whatsoever, but the next morning when i start up my engine the check temp/coolant level light comes on in my dash. i pop the trunk and see that there is zero coolant, literally not one drop. i can see that all the coolant has been splashed inside the hood of my car as there are liquid stains all over, so it must have boiled over.

this happened about a week ago and i havent had any problems since, but i talked to a friend whos owned a couple VWs in his life and he said he experienced similar things. im wondering if this is symptomatic of some larger issue? has anyone experienced something similar? should i have it looked at (i know nothing about cars) or should i just let it be and not sweat it unless the problem comes up again?

thanks