Brake Bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Default Brake Bleeding

I tried bleeding the brakes (twice) on our '69 Bug with my wife working the pedal. The back two brakes seemed to bleed normally but I didn't see any air bubbles. The front two bleed just a bit of fluid (no air) and then quit. The pedal will not go to the floor as with the rear ones when the bleeder valves are opened. With the pedal pumped up and I open a bleeder valve I can see the bit of fluid come out & then start to go back into the valve as if the pressure was removed from the pedal. The shoes are all adjusted up as required. Can anyone explain this phenomena?

Old 08-19-2019, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

The older master cylinder the pedal should go to floor when bleeding brakes. The newer tandem mater cylinder will only go half way. Are the front bleed nipples clear, remove them and use a small drill in the holes?

You can try a pressure bleeder.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:55 AM

I'm going to drive the car to see how the brakes act before doing anything more. There is a small amount of fluid coming out of each front brake each time the pedal is pumped up so I won't mess with the bleeder valves just yet. From what you've said, it sounds like the brakes have been bled normally although the pedal doesn't feel any better.

Vic

Old 08-19-2019, 11:01 AM
Default Hi

I would advise against driving this at all!

Front brakes are over 80% of your full breaking power.

I would advise you to troubleshoot and fix the issues at hand until they work properly. Especially since a small amount is escaping only, that could possibly cause a high loss of brake power where you need it most, and for heavens sake a bad accident.

Msg me if you need help, I am a smart newbie who loves to learn!

Old 08-20-2019, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Evan which model and year do you have?

Please tell us your car spec in your signature

Old 08-20-2019, 09:35 AM

If the front brakes constituted over 80% of the car's braking power the front shoes would have to be 1 1/2 times the size of the rear shoes. I doubt if that's the case.

Vic

Old 08-20-2019, 09:41 AM
Default Reply

Originally Posted by thebunns
If the front brakes constituted over 80% of the car's braking power the front shoes would have to be 1 1/2 times the size of the rear shoes. I doubt if that's the case.

Vic
Ah!

I must have been tired, I assumed you had a newer model, now that I see you have a 69, you may be fine.

Engines were mounted in the back correct? This would mean your braking power should be in the rear, still I wouldn’t drive it until the problem is resolved at higher speeds to be safe.