General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low brake pedal - nothing fixes it??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Default low brake pedal - nothing fixes it??

I have a 89 GTi that I just put on the road for the summer. Ever since I bought the car I have an issue with a low brake pedal which despite my best efforts, I cannot get right. The previous owner had replaced the rear prop valve and when I bought the car I assumed it just needed a good bleeding but that didnt seem to work. The car had larger 10.1" front rotors and calipers which I thought may have been the culprit due to the larger caliper pistons not getting enough fluid flow from the mc - I went back to the 9.4" for reasons other than this, pedal was still the same mush as b4. Tried all sorts of bleeding, no luck. So I tried replacing the crappy aftermarket varga mc that was on there with a new oem unit, still no change. I am at wits end with this car - it is perfect except for a mushy pedal!! I am now considering buying a power bleeder to see if I can fix it - I am 90% positive the culprit is air somewhere in the rear lines...there are no visable leaks, the car has ss hoses, a new 20mm mc, everything has been rebuilt or replaced - there is no reason why the car shouldnt have a firm pedal....someone please tell me what I am doing wrong or how I can fix this - should I go to a 22mm mc? get a power bleeder? drive it off a cliff? please help

Old 06-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Jsd
Default RE: low brake pedal - nothing fixes it??

If the brakes WORK, don't be so picky. Mine does the exact same thing. It's mush, but my brakes work just fine. I've noticed, the smaller the brake booster the mushier a pedal gets, I honestly don't know. I hate it as well but i've done almost everything to my own brake system and can not get a firm pedal. As long as you don't lose fluid, or brakes, don't worry about it.

-Jeff

Old 06-02-2006, 02:35 PM

They WORK!!! just to stop hard you have to put it about to the floor!!! I cant really heel and toe with it cus the pedal goes down so far, just bothers me...this is my autox and track car, I kinda like a good pedal for racing - If i do find a way to fix it I be sure to let you know so you can get yours right...I havent given up yet

Old 06-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Jsd

Yup same, I have to put it to the floor and I HATE it but i've learned to live with it, unfortunately. I wish it was something simple like expanding flex hoses or something. I'll keep on it as well and hopefully one of us can resolve this annoyance.

-Jeff

Old 06-08-2006, 08:53 PM

how about the master cylinder do you have abs brakes there is a different bleeding prosses for those are the pads and shoes far away from the caliper and drum. is it a vacume booster any vac leaks if you turn off the engine how much brake assist do you have should be about 3 aplications. are the rotors the right size for the caliper to big will cause the problem some thoughts anyway

Old 06-15-2006, 09:01 PM

I just learned bigger brakes need a bigger master cylinder to create propper pressure