PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beautifully Restored 1974 VW Super Beetle Convertible For Sale - Houston Texas

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Default Beautifully Restored 1974 VW Super Beetle Convertible For Sale - Houston Texas

This car will be for sale locally starting next weekend but wanted to first offer this to my fellow VW enthusiasts............

GENERAL
This classic VW convertible has been beautifully restored inside & out. It looks great and runs great, getting attention wherever it goes!

Until last summer, this VW served as my 3rd vehicle for 10 years and was primarily used to buy groceries, supplies and take my bike to the park since my other 2 vehicles are 2 seat convertibles with very little space. I also use it frequently to go to the airport (26 miles each way) since it has plenty of room for suitcases. I purchased this car locally in early 1998 from a local owner whom also used this as his 3rd vehicle, primarily to take his dog and kids to the park on weekends. Car has spent its life in Texas and was originally registered in El Paso.

In mid 2008, I decided to restore this vehicle and bring it back to its original beauty. Here’s a list of the restorations completed:

1. Car fully repainted inside & out with original factory yellow color and it looks perfect!
2. Reupholstered front seats and back seat with original basketweave black vinyl upholstery
3. All new rubber seals on doors, hoods, fenders, etc.
4. New front trunk hood hinges
5. All new chrome exterior trim
6. New louvered chrome running boards
7. New chrome tailpipes
8. New black sunvisors and clips
9. New chrome headlight eyebrows
10. New molded dash cover
11. New rear door panels
12. New window cranks
13. New floor pans
14. New interior black loop carpeting front & back
15. New interior convertible top hinge covers
16. New bumper end caps
17. New chrome side mirrors
18. New brake system & brake lines
19. New parking brake boot
20. New shifter boot
21. New wipers and repainted wiper arms original black color
22. Performance exhaust (installed in 2007)

Wow, what a difference all this made – it looks perfect! Lots of work but no expense was spared to make this car as beautiful as it was many, many years ago!

This car is a true gem – completely refurbished inside & out with a solid & dependable engine, excellent convertible top and the charm of a classic 70’s VW.

Inspection & registration is up-to-date. Title is clear & in my possession. This car is in perfect mechanical condition and has never been in an accident of any kind.

While I love this car and have thoroughly enjoyed it for 11 years, I am selling this and another classic to make way for another toy.

EXTERIOR
Exterior is in beautiful shape since being restored starting last summer. It was repainted to original factory spec yellow and still doesn’t have one single scratch, chip or mark on the paint as it has been meticulously maintained since work completed. All rubber seals on doors, fenders, hoods, etc. have been replaced. Also replaced front hood hinges, installed all new chrome exterior trim, chrome headlight eyelids, chrome tailpipes, chrome mirrors and beautiful chrome running boards.

Convertible top is jet black and in excellent shape – visually and structurally. It was replaced by previous owner in the mid 90’s. All exterior glass is original and free of any cracks. Tires were replaced a couple of years ago but look brand new since have kept low miles on this vehicle. Has original chrome dish hubcaps which are in excellent shape with only minor blemishes. All headlights, taillights and turn signals are in perfect working order.

INTERIOR

The interior has been beautifully restored. Front and rear seats were re-upholstered with original black vinyl basket weave design. Brand new floor pans were installed and all carpeting front & back was replaced with new black loop carpeting. Also, installed custom molded dash cover so the dash looks brand new. Visors, shift boot, brake boot, window cranks, rear door panels and rear convertible top hinge covers are all brand new.

Only a few minor things left to replace if you wish to make this car’s interior in perfect condition – side vent window handles missing end pulls but vent windows still open and close OK without them, one heat **** is missing on dash (don’t need heat in Texas so never replaced), stereo is old AM/FM cassette radio and doesn’t change channels (never replaced because I frequently leave top down at stores so didn’t want to worry) and rear bench seat belts are old and in need of replacement.

ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, ETC.
Car is in perfect mechanical condition and runs great. Definitely a strong car and very dependable. I never hesitated to take this to the airport (26 miles each way). Engine is strong, transmission shifts clearly, steering works flawlessly.

While odometer reads 33K miles, repair records show that it stopped in 1977. I’d estimate that I’ve put 500-700 miles on the car each of the last 11 years. Previous owner also used this car periodically for leisure activities so I know he didn’t put many miles on it. If I were to guess, it has about 100K miles but there’s no way to know for sure. What I can tell you is that car runs strong, is very dependable and starts reliably in all weather, hot or cold!

Full brake system and lines ere replaced last summer right before I began the restoration project. Performance muffler was installed about 3 years ago. I just changed oil with Castrol 10W40.

Only known issue is that vehicle’s flywheel is missing a tooth. So, sometimes (probably once every 25-30 starts), the car will make a grinding noise when you try to start it because it has landed on that missing tooth on the flywheel and can’t grab it to start the car. I never fixed it since it happens so infrequently and can be resolved by simply turning the key again. Then it starts right up without issue!

OTHER
The car is currently registered in the state of Texas with a clear title. Car always passes inspection without issue and is cheap to inspect since it is not subject to emissions testing. Also, this car is incredibly cheap to insure ($50 per year) since it is a classic car. I also have many of the service records dating back to the 1970’s.

While the car is in excellent shape, it is being sold as is, with no warranties.

SHIPPING
Car is being sold locally in Houston Texas 77098 but I am open to ship wherever desired. If shipping is desired, it will be the buyer’s responsibility to arrange and pay for shipping of the vehicle after paid for in full. I would like to have the car picked up within a week of being paid for.

VIEWING/QUESTIONS
If interested in viewing this vehicle, I’d be happy to show it to you at my work during weekdays or my home in evenings or weekends. If you would like to see it please call me a day in advance so I can plan accordingly. If you have any questions regarding this beautifully restored VW, please email me at jimwebster@hotmail.com or call me at 713-240-7228. Thank you.

PRICE: $8200

Attached Thumbnails Beautifully Restored 1974 VW Super Beetle Convertible For Sale - Houston Texas-my-bug-web2.jpg   Beautifully Restored 1974 VW Super Beetle Convertible For Sale - Houston Texas-vw-palm-web.jpg   Beautifully Restored 1974 VW Super Beetle Convertible For Sale - Houston Texas-vw-interior-top-view-web.jpg   Beautifully Restored 1974 VW Super Beetle Convertible For Sale - Houston Texas-vw-side-all-down-web.jpg