General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting issues 87 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 03:43 AM
Default Starting issues 87 Cabriolet

Hi folks,

We recently purchased an 87 Cab convertible and replaced the battery shortly thereafter. It's been about two months and suddenly, the car is not starting. When the ignition is turned, the starter attempts to start the engine, but as soon as the key is released, the engine stops. If I gun it and keep the ignition key turned constantly, I can drive the car. After a couple of minutes or less, the engine stalls. I'm not sure where to start other than to give it a full tune up, and then progress to removing the alternator, and ignition switch. It has plenty of fuel. Any help would be appreciated. We'd like to continue using it as a daily driver.

Thanks,

G Bosco

Old 03-24-2007, 03:49 AM
Default RE: Starting issues 87 Cabriolet

We recently purchased an 87 Cab convertible and replaced the battery shortly thereafter. It's been about two months and suddenly, the car is not starting. When the ignition is turned, the starter attempts to start the engine, but as soon as the key is released, the engine stops. If I gun it and keep the ignition key turned constantly, I can drive the car. After a couple of minutes or less, the engine stalls. I'm not sure where to start other than to give it a full tune up, It has plenty of fuel.;, and then progress to removing the alternator, and ignition switch. Any help would be appreciated. We'd like to continue using it as a daily driver.

Thanks,

g Bosco

Old 04-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Default RE: Starting issues 87 Cabriolet

there are several things to look at when car won't start. check on the following: no ignition spark, - it could be a bad coil or bad vw rotor arms; injectors not being fired; or might some dirty connections, try to clean everything. keep us posted regarding this matter.