General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to disable central locking

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Default How to disable central locking

I've recently purchased a 2003 Jetta GLI that automatically locks all four doors when you go from a stop to about 10mph. I had no idea how much of a pain this would be until I started driving it. I have two small kids that ride in the back, I have to remember to unlock the doors before I get out so I can get in to help them w/ unbuckling seat belt etc. Plus if I'm in an accident I'd kind of like people to be able to get in to help me w/o having to break windows. I don't see that having all the doors locked is such a hot idea.

Is there a way through a software change to keep it from doing this or would I have to disable the electric locks entirely?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Default RE: How to disable central locking

That's what keyless entry is for. You have an unlock button on your keyfab. Just use that. One press unlocks driver's door, two presses unlocks all 4 doors. It's more of a safety feature than anything or just hit the power unlock when you come to a stop. I don't see the complication here at all.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:24 PM

Germany must have some tough neighborhoods if it is a requirement to lock your doors every time you drive the car. GM cars have had this option for years, but Detroit is not known for low crime rates.

If anything its a negative in the safety dept. If I'm in an accident and can't function, I don't want to wait for first responders to break windows in orderto get in & help.

The key fob is useless when you've left the key in the ignition as I often do. I live in a place where the crime rate is pretty low. I won't argue that it can be considered a driver training issue, but I'd still like to change it if possible, its the first car in 30 years that has this function.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:22 PM

there isnt any way to disable thecentral locking sorry but thats one thing about vw's you have to hit the unlock button on the door

Old 12-08-2008, 08:42 PM

Geeze, I thought they were smarter than that.

My '98 Passat didn't have this problem. I must be old fashion to think you don't need to run around w/ the doors locked all the time. After two weeks of driving the car, I am getting better at remembering, but I still don't like the idea of being in an accident and having everything locked solid.