2013 Tiguan SE, water pump assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 11:43 PM
Default 2013 Tiguan SE, water pump assembly

I just replaced the water pump in my 2013 Tiguan, as I had originally thought the thermostat was in a stuck open position : low engine temp on tac gauge (sporadic when there was a reading), very little heat/defrost, and a radiator fan that would immediately start and keep running even after the ignition was turned off (resulting in drained/dead batteries).

Unfortunately after the labor of changing the water pump, thermostat, and coolant temp sensor, the original problems persist (except now I get no reading on the engine temp tac). Definitely is not overheating, but would like to figure out how to fix this and clear the check engine light.

I do have question that someone can hopefully help with: I received an assembly diagram, pulled up by VIN from a local VW dealership, of the water pump and radiator.

My question is regarding the connections to the water pump. The diagram shows part (10), the connection above lower coolant sensor (8), connecting to the upper pipe of the water pump, and part (12) connecting to the lower pipe of the pump. This is definitely opposite of how I found it when taking out the old pump, and from the numerous YouTube I watched for guidance on doing the pump change out. I put the hoses back the way I had found them and saw in the videos. I'm wondering if the diagram could in fact be correct? If so, can the pump run either direction? If hooked up backwards, could this be the source of the problems I've been having?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.