Polo keeps cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:04 AM
Default Polo keeps cutting out

Two years ago I bought a new Polo from Western VW, Edinburgh. From one month old, on several mornings it would not start and I mentioned this to the dealer who, after examination of the car, told me they could find no faults. However, since November 2005 it has been towed to the garage a couple of times after losing power whilst driving. This was a scary experience, driving on outside lane when engine cut out and I almost caused a major collision. The battery light comes on prior to the engine 'dying'. After several investigations they replaced the oil fuel control unit but after cutting out again one week later, it was towed back to the garage. They then replaced the outside temperature control unit after contacting VW technicians with the problem, and the car ran fine for 4 weeks. Yesterday it cut out yet again and is now back in the garage. No one seems to know what is the cause but I have totally lost confidence in the car and feel justified in having it replaced. Any suggestions/opinions?

Old 02-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Polo keeps cutting out

always check easy stuff first like alternator, mass airflow sensor(if installed), but when the engine dies and you're still moving, can you restart the car??? If not you've prolly got a big problem, if you can then it may be easier to troubleshoot...let me know...

Old 02-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Jsd

I agree with bagel....could be even the battery not getting a proper charge, EFI sucks without it

Old 02-10-2006, 06:45 AM

When the engine cuts out I can start it again straight away, however it does cut seconds later. When I re-start the engine, if I keep my foot on the accelarator and in first gear it can be driven long enough to get me to the side of the road etc. However when I lift my foot from the accelarator it just cuts out.
As you will guess, I don't know much about the machinations of a car engine but I do know that the garage has tried various replacement parts to no avail.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Jsd

maybe the airflow sensor is done...seems like your car just won't idle,

Old 02-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

if it keeps wanting to cut out like vthat, then try changing the fule filter, somehow there's either no air, or no fuel getting to wheer it's suppose...doesn't seem to be electrical..

Old 02-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

if it keeps wanting to cut out like vthat, then try changing the fule filter, somehow there's either no air, or no fuel getting to wheer it's suppose...doesn't seem to be electrical..

I meant to say fuel filter..man I can't spell. So, thanx JSD for agreeing with me and I'm not trying to shoot from the hip but your problem has something to do with the air/fuel getting to the motor. Another thing you mihgt want to do is get fuel injector cleaner like gumout, could be even dirty injectors..hope all of this helps

Old 02-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Jsd

Hey bagel, instead of posting additional posts, you can edit your previous post. :-) Just to make it easier...there's tabs on the top of the square to select different options.

I don't think dirty injectors would cause it ti cut out like that but definitely a clogged fuel filter would cause frequent stalling. The fuel lines as well may be cluttered with dirt and stuff as well. Perhaps servicing the whole system would be beneficial regardless of it does fix the issue in the end. (If it's the fuel filter)

Old 02-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

thanx for the tip, it would make it easier....

Old 02-21-2006, 05:40 AM

Thank you for all your suggestions which I have printed out and will take to the car dealer. As of today (21 Feb) I still don't have my car. I have written to VW Customer Service dept informing them of my complaint but no reply yet. I have no confidence in the car now which is a real shame given that I always buy VW (6 so far). I thought that maybe the Sales manager would have contacted me with a solution i.e. a replacement car to the value of mine!! Will give them a call tomorrow and see how the land lies. They are telling me that it's been running fine since being towed in and until it cuts out they can't do anything. The fact that this problem is intermittent and erratic does not make me feel easy about driving it anywhere.

Quick Reply: Polo keeps cutting out