Passat Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Default Passat Problems

I own a 2002 Passat W8. I am one year out of warranty, but the car only has 30k on it. I bought the car with 15k on it, had it checked out before Ipurchased to verify maintenance and mileage. Over the course of my ownership the car has received regular maintenance and oil changes.

At 30K engine light goes on, starts running rough, my Mech tells me to go to a dealer for repair. Dealer says I have a bad torque converter, bad timing on my cam shaft and an axel problem. He adds that they see these problems ALL THE TIME on W8s.The bill to fix the car is -wait for it-$11,000.

I call VW America tell them about the situation, 2 days later I get a call from a guy who uses every 4 syllable word he knows and 15 minutes to tell me to "go pound sand", (I'm an attorney: it got to the point that I couldn't stand it any more and asked the guy if he was trying to tell me VW was not going to do anything about their defective product; answer “that’s right”).

I have not read through this forum yet, so forgive me if my question is redundant, but has anyone else here had a similar experience with VW and the Passat W8? I understand the specific problems I have with my car are well known and quite common. I contacted VW regarding class actions and I was told that none has been filed related to the W8.

I less angry than I am amazed that a car company would take the position that they have no responsibility for an auto that implodes at 30K. Ihate to litigate! but I will unless anybody here knows of an existing action re: the W8. I am happy toshare info with anyoneina similar situation and if I am going to take theseguys on I could use all thedata Ican get soplease respond fellow victims.

Thanks Brentski